Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any ideas for small hand work to do... >
  • Any ideas for small hand work to do...

• Any ideas for small hand work to do...

Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 AM

How do you feel about doing a Mini Wholecloth quilt? If you go to BeeHappyQuilting.com you can purchase a 14 x 14 mini wholecloth that is pre-stamped with a design. I've bought different ones and after I finished doing the hand quilting, I used the method of joining where you matched the front together, sew it and then overlap the backing and tack it down. When I got done, I'd make a lap quilt. Easy to do, folds up and take anywhere. Just need ziploc bag, cloth, batting, backing, thread and needle.
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
    I am needing so me help, with ideas & suggestions as to what to do while at the hospital.

I spend ALOT of time in the hospital with our 21 yo dd and don't like hauling my quilts up to the hospital. But I am at a loss as to what to do. I like piecing but I do it by maching. I have looked for small 'kits' to buy and have in my 'hospital bag' for when we have to 'grab & run' but I have not found anything.

Do any one you have any 'kits' that I might could even purchase to have for 'next time'? Or if you have any simple easy things for me to do, idea wise, PLEASE let me know what they are.

You all are great! Thanks ahead of time for the help.
    Also, if you'd like to add our dd to your prayers list please feel free to do so. She has a CB page that you can log into and read more about her if you'd like to. We'd appreciate the prayers!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea
    Blessings to you all for a great evening!
    LaQuita
    I went to Shea's website and sent her an email. God bless you!
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 AM

I vote for yo-yo's. Several blocks in my avatar quilt were made while my mother was in the hospital. I carried a small tote w/fabric circles already cut out, needle, thread, scissors and yo-yo maker. No brainpower needed! I will pray for your daughter.
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 AM

I enjoy sewing greeting cards. All you need are card stock cards from Joanns and pretty thread, needle. Look under www.stitchingcards.com and there are free patterns. There is a punching tool but you can do this with a heavy needle. I am sure this makes no sense until you look it up on line. Good luck to both you and your daughter.
    Louise
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 AM

yo yos using the clover yo yo maker - easy to take and easy to drop at short notice and a good way to use left over fabric or ugly fabric
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Baltimore Album blocks are a good small hand project. Use the freezer paper method so they are really portable and you can do a lot witht he finsihed blocks - a quilt, tablerunners, fronts for pocket books, pillows, etc. Elly Sienkiewicz published a series of books on Baltimore Beauties with a bunch of different techniques.
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Bluteddi, your yo yo quilt is beautiful, gorgeous colors. Is a yo you quilt hard to make? It looks toasty warm.
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 AM

I would start the squares for a cathederal window quilt. In fact, the next time our daughter goes in, that is exactly what I plan to do. I am so sorry about your dd. I do hope she is better soon. If you would like to PM me please do.
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Sent Shea a post - hope she is coming along.
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM

Do you knit? I have a "grab 'n go" bag with knitting in it. I make quick dish cloths....don't even really have to think about the pattern after a while and they make up fast...I have given lots away. They are a great size since they fit in your hand when you are wiping down the counters, table, etc...
    I am definitely willing to share the patterns if you are interested...