Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • any ideas? >
  • any ideas?

• any ideas?

Old 12-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Default any ideas?

I was asked to make a tshirt quilt for a local fire department fundraiser. I said yes before I knew there were only 4 tshirts to be used on the quilt. To me, I don't think that is enough tshirts... but I already told them yes. (lesson learned... ask questions before saying yes ha ha)

I have pictures here, and I was hoping one of your great minds can give me an idea - or maybe just confirm that what I have is the best option

Then I am thinking I would add a stop border and then an outer border (either tshirt material or some grunge fabric)

So I have 4 shirts ... a front and the back. Do you think this would be the best option? or do yo have any suggestions?

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails capture2.png  
    Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM

Maybe make something where each shirt is in a row - so it can be added to every year? Looks like it's an annual event. Just a thought - not sure how practical of one, but a thought nonetheless. lol
    Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM

what if each shirt (front and back counting as "one" shirt) had it's own row in the quilt, but each row is offset a little. so, the first row would have the front and back aligned to the left, the bottom row would have the front and back aligned to the right, and the middle rows aligned somewhere in between to give it a staggered look. then you could choose a single background fabric to fill in the negative space so it all looks cohesive and tie it all together with a border

Originally Posted by meyert
    I was asked to make a tshirt quilt for a local fire department fundraiser. I said yes before I knew there were only 4 tshirts to be used on the quilt. To me, I don't think that is enough tshirts... but I already told them yes. (lesson learned... ask questions before saying yes ha ha)

I have pictures here, and I was hoping one of your great minds can give me an idea - or maybe just confirm that what I have is the best option

Then I am thinking I would add a stop border and then an outer border (either tshirt material or some grunge fabric)

So I have 4 shirts ... a front and the back. Do you think this would be the best option? or do yo have any suggestions?

Thank you
    Old 12-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Thank you for your thoughts.... you mean staggered something like one of these? I think I would have enough of the tshirt material to fill out the "blank" areas

Attached Thumbnails capture3.png   capture2.png  
    Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 PM

something like the first picture would look nice.
    looking forward to any other idea from the other members and especially looking forward to see the finished product.
    Originally Posted by meyert
    Thank you for your thoughts.... you mean staggered something like one of these? I think I would have enough of the tshirt material to fill out the "blank" areas
    Old 12-31-2019, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Your best option is to tell them you need more T-Shirts to make a quilt. For a bed size quilt I use a minimum of 20 imprints in a 4 x 5 setting with sashing. A t-shirt wallhanging will not bring in any $$ for a fund raiser. If it is an auction very few will bid on it and the $ amount will be small. If it is a raffle, very few will buy raffle tickets for a quilt that is not even as big as a lap throw. I am sure they can ask the firehouse members/volunteers to try and donate more shirts.
    Old 12-31-2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Your best option is to tell them you need more T-Shirts to make a quilt. For a bed size quilt I use a minimum of 20 imprints in a 4 x 5 setting with sashing. A t-shirt wallhanging will not bring in any $$ for a fund raiser. If it is an auction very few will bid on it and the $ amount will be small. If it is a raffle, very few will buy raffle tickets for a quilt that is not even as big as a lap throw. I am sure they can ask the firehouse members/volunteers to try and donate more shirts.
    That was my thought as well.
    Old 12-31-2019, 06:51 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. At least now I know that I am not missing anything

I believe this will be on a silent auction.

I am thinking that after I put borders on this I will be able to make a throw size quilt - - 50" x 60". I don't believe they even care to have a bed size quilt.
    Old 12-31-2019, 11:29 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with feline, you need more t shirts to make a quilt. I am pretty sure if you asked someone will be able to help you find more.
    Old 12-31-2019, 07:26 PM
    Power Poster

This 2/3 yard panel could be used in the center to help add to your desired size.

https://sykelenterprises.com/collections/firefighter