Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >
  • any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

• any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM

At least you were polite, and not physical or confrontational, I doubt they'd allow you full membership for that. But please never visit my house, LOL!! Though none of mine are in any danger of falling down or pulling away, I use nails because they're easy and they work on my very difficult walls. If you use enough across the top it doesn't pull. Personally I've never made anything so wonderful that it deserves to be treated like a precious work of art. It's amazing how many people think a nasty email will make you run off and pull all the nails out of the wall and never use them again... :roll:

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    This might count as being a member of the quilt police.

I saw a quilt being displayed at a store - it was NAILED to the wall - and it was pulling at the nails and looked like it might be getting ready to tear from the weight of the quilt.
    I did tell the owner/manager that the quilt was "in danger" being displayed that way. Whether he ever did anything about it - I don't know - but he gave me the impression that he really hadn't known any better and hadn't noticed that it was pulling.

I didn't yell - just mentioned politely and privately.
    Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

There were about three nails holding up a quilt that looked like it was at about 6 x 8 feet.

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    At least you were polite, and not physical or confrontational, I doubt they'd allow you full membership for that. But please never visit my house, LOL!! Though none of mine are in any danger of falling down or pulling away, I use nails because they're easy and they work on my very difficult walls. If you use enough across the top it doesn't pull. Personally I've never made anything so wonderful that it deserves to be treated like a precious work of art. It's amazing how many people think a nasty email will make you run off and pull all the nails out of the wall and never use them again... :roll:

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    This might count as being a member of the quilt police.

I saw a quilt being displayed at a store - it was NAILED to the wall - and it was pulling at the nails and looked like it might be getting ready to tear from the weight of the quilt.
    I did tell the owner/manager that the quilt was "in danger" being displayed that way. Whether he ever did anything about it - I don't know - but he gave me the impression that he really hadn't known any better and hadn't noticed that it was pulling.

I didn't yell - just mentioned politely and privately.
    Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
    Power Poster

Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have. That is when others either draw near or run for their life. LOL This happened to me about machine quilting wasn't real quilting from a hateful woman. ____ How kind of you to let me know my quilt is not real. I swear, all the quilt classes I have taken, all the national quilt shows I have been to and not one person as ever told me that machine quilting made a quilt not real. I would like for you to come to my quilting quild and explain to our award winning quilters what is a real quilt. Let me have your name and number and I'll have our program director give you a call...never let up talking while you steer her out the door or room. The How Kind of You gives your mind the time to start forming long running sentences to get that person out and gone. I hear my DDs, now adults, start out with How kind of you....I know they can handle anything!
    Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have. That is when others either draw near or run for their life. LOL This happened to me about machine quilting wasn't real quilting from a hateful woman. ____ How kind of you to let me know my quilt is not real. I swear, all the quilt classes I have taken, all the national quilt shows I have been to and not one person as ever told me that machine quilting made a quilt not real. I would like for you to come to my quilting quild and explain to our award winning quilters what is a real quilt. Let me have your name and number and I'll have our program director give you a call...never let up talking while you steer her out the door or room. The How Kind of You gives your mind the time to start forming long running sentences to get that person out and gone. I hear my DDs, now adults, start out with How kind of you....I know they can handle anything!
    LOL - I was taught to deal with rudeness the same way! I'm educating my daughters as well :lol:
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by varacefan
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    LOL - I was taught to deal with rudeness the same way! I'm educating my daughters as well :lol:
    Sometimes it works!

I've read several in the mystery book series books by Rita Mae Brown - the settings of the two series is West Virginia - horse and fox hunting country - seems like folks in different parts of the country handle "scenes" in different ways.
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM

When DGS and DGD were 2 and 3, DH and I took them to the store and a lady behind us told us how cute they are and that they looked just like us.We said thank-you and she turned around to her friend and said the trouble with people now is that they are so old when they have kids they can't enjoy them long.and our DGS said" Grandma are you old?"She went to a different check out lane.LOL
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
    Power Poster

Wow, I am glad I have never had an encounter like those described here.

I am wondering if there is ever an appropriate time to comment on someone else's quilt? I ask because a situation recently arose in my HOG (motorcycling) group. For years I made T-Shirt quilts for the club to raffle off. Unfortunately the last few years I was totally burnt out on it and did not offer. One of the girls who works in the shop volunteered to make it. I saw it hanging in the shop and know it will not last through 3 washings. She did not use any interfacing on the T shirt squares, it has tons of loose fabric hanging in the back and she only tied it in the corner of each 12" square. I know of no poly batting that can be tied 12" apart and still last and by the feel of it, it has a poly batting. I believe W&N even requires more closer tying or quilting, I think at least every 8". I have said nothing because it really isn't my place to say anything. Should I without seeming bitter or a know it all or a quilt police?
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Ck,
    It's amazing how people can't or won't mind their own business. I always say..."Make sure your house is clean before you mouth off about somebody else's."

You sure show a lot of restraint with the "Q cops"......LOL

Next July 4th, you should take a bunch of those cheater quilts and lay it out. Either that snatch it back from them and wrap them up and knock 'em down.......lol

I have sent people to the E.R. for the same things, but no quilts were involved. :shock:
    Something about messing with my babies and laying one's hands on me, causes me to snap....lol
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Not to put a bad rap on my home territory but those "quilt police" are lucky they don't live in the Northeast! No sugar and honey up here when it comes to rudeness. :-)
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Ck,
    It's amazing how people can't or won't mind their own business. I always say..."Make sure your house is clean before you mouth off about somebody else's."

You sure show a lot of restraint with the "Q cops"......LOL

Next July 4th, you should take a bunch of those cheater quilts and lay it out. Either that snatch it back from them and wrap them up and knock 'em down.......lol

I have sent people to the E.R. for the same things, but no quilts were involved. :shock:
    Something about messing with my babies and laying one's hands on me, causes me to snap....lol
    You Go, Girl!!!