Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >
  • any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

• any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 AM

I think she is living near me! And shops where I do. Last week we went shopping and an elderly lady drove at us in her motor scooter, luckily my son is light enough for me to lift out of the way! I tried thinking that her sight is going, thats why she did that, but I had a sneaking suspicion that she was just a mean old b!
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    I think she is living near me! And shops where I do. Last week we went shopping and an elderly lady drove at us in her motor scooter, luckily my son is light enough for me to lift out of the way! I tried thinking that her sight is going, thats why she did that, but I had a sneaking suspicion that she was just a mean old b!

No, not The Dragon Lady, she doesn't have a scooter - too mean to buy one. She would rather her other niece down there run after her.
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM

A couple of years ago I went to a very large quilt show and had to take my walker. I was standing by a booth, minding my business and looking at some patterns, when a woman kicked the front of my walker and then got mad. Told me that "people like me shouldn't be there if I couldn't get out of the way". Haven't been back since.
    Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dodee
    A couple of years ago I went to a very large quilt show and had to take my walker. I was standing by a booth, minding my business and looking at some patterns, when a woman kicked the front of my walker and then got mad. Told me that "people like me shouldn't be there if I couldn't get out of the way". Haven't been back since.
    That is absolutely NOT a good thing :thumbdown:
    All of these stories have thier sad and funny parts---assulting kids is bad, very bad, but in each instance the mother was there, thank goodness!
    But this has touched me to the soul! What could that 'woman' have been thinking? I want to go find her and make her need a walker!!!!
    Next time that quilt show comes around you just let me know and I will be there and we'll go together.....bet no one will bother you then!!!
    Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by finch
    Amen on the no sugar and honey from the North east !! We just don't take it there.I now live in the South and I don't take it here either!! I sure wasn't raised to be rude to anyone,but I was always told that if you couldn't use your fists then grab a club!! Thank goodness ,I have never had to make that option.I hate rude people!!! I think I would have rolled her uop in the quilt and put a couple of knuckle bumps on her head.
    EEEEk! "Use your fists"??? :-)

If I'm in a fighting mood, I get right back in their face -- with words! Some days, I just don't have the energy to deal with jerks so I walk away, laughing to myself. But, touch any child (or animal, for that matter) in front of me, you'd better be wearing running shoes! I won't hurt you. but, I will SIT on you until the cops come. "Fluffiness" runs in my family plus I'm almost six feet tall. :!: :thumbup: :!:
    Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 AM

I agree. It hurts my heart when anyone avoids things that they enjoy because of another's ill manners. I must be a true B#TCH cause these kind of experiences make me want more so I can make them look like the &SS they really are. It is like a game and I love playing it. I try to be kind to everyone, but if you are rude to me you will get it back with both barrels right between the eyes. I don't have any of these quilt police stories of my own but I would love to. I guess I give off a "don't mess with me" vibe (or so I am told).
    I guess the closest thing I have to a story is when I was helping a friend make a quilt for her first DGD and we were putting on the borders. I told her how we were going to measure it and she said, "wow you really do know what you are doing" I looked sideways at her and she said, "a girl at work said this is the way to measure for borders" All I could think is "so glad her highness approves"
    Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM

Ugly people amaze me.
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!! I belong to a local quilt guild here on Mt. Desert Island in Maine. They are the most wonderful gals!!!!! I was welcomed from the first moment and I am REALLY a beginner having only made 4 quilts thus far. They appreciated my work in the Show n Tell and even asked me to put two of my pieces in their Quilt Show a couple of weeks later. I am thrilled with this Guild! Quilt Police - BAH!

quote=crashnquilt]Okay, this thread has really gotten me to thinkin. First off, the "broad" that accosted the child, if it would have been me, I would have decked to "old girl" with something! Defense would have been protecting my child.

But I really hate it when I hear of other quilters having a "better than you are attitude" towards anyone! We all have different preferences when it comes to quilts. If we were all the same THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE QUILT PATTERN! Like DUH!

As far as the title "Professional", WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE LADIES! That is a totally SELF PROCLAIMED title! I have been piecing and longarm quilting for years. I have had quilts in shows and won awards but I still say I'm and "advanced beginner" because I learn something new ALL THE TIME!

And regarding the tatoos, WOW! My longarm mentor has tatoos, dreadlocks, and plays in a heavy metal band! Now that would really shake up your LQS owners. I love Karen McTavish, her techniques and her methods. My sister went to a class with Karen M., who showed up in tattered blue jeans and BAREFOOT. Best teacher my sister ever had the joy in meeting.

I learned at a very early age to never discount or judge anyone by anything. Just because they are decked out in a 3 piece suit doesn't mean they are rich or good people.

Tortoisethreads, you keep doing exactly what you are doing because you are contributing to the quilters world in your unique way.[/quote]
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Amen. There is no excuse for treating anyone that way, especially someone that uses a walker, or wheelchair, or crutches. I fell and broke my shoulder several years ago, and as a result of multiple surgeries I had to use a walker for a while. I thank God for them. But then, I have a great deal of sympathy for the very young, the very old, the disabled, and just humans in general. I am glad I am not that angry or judgmental. My life is so much happier.
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 AM

maybe it was her daughter LOL

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i started that topic telling you about the incident at the airshow over the weekend; last night i was reading some of the replies to my hubby and he was laughing all over again, then he said, what did they all say (meaning all of you) about the last time, when Ashley was assaulted? omg, i have completely forgotten about that time.
    WE ARE SLOW LEARNERS I GUESS...we keep taking our quilts everywhere...
    3 years ago, on the 4th of July we were in the park, myself, kids, and granddaughters...it was after the parade; this woman walked up to my granddaughter (she was 10 at the time) and literally yanked her quilt right out of her hands and demanded to know 'WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER?!?' I turned around and came to the rescue...along with the person whom i had been standing talking with 5 feet away...he was the town chief of police :-D . said woman was very obnoxious, (maybe drunk at 11am?) she was so 'indignant' she wound up going to jail...cited for public disturbance and assaulting a child...she paid lots in fines and was ordered probation for a year!
    AND WE STILL TAKE OUR QUILTS EVERY WHERE WE GO
    ya think we are just 'asking for it'? or just slow....
    I look forward to the next time...slowly but surely disbanding the gastapo...
    what really amazes me is that these things happen in the open when there are literally thousands of people around, they are so sure of themselves...
    the one this year was probably in her 60's...so maybe menapause (but i never behaved in any close way to this when i went through it)
    the one who assaulted my granddaughter...she was maybe 30...