Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades???? >
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

• Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 AM

I bought my blades about a year ago and I am on the 3rd package and I love them!
    Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi! I bought some HF blades but haven't changed my cutter as yet because it has a fairly new blade in it but I discovered something today that I had never had noticed before.
    I'm been having trouble with my blades skipping(these were the Olfa brand blades) and I would change them thinking their were the problem but today I happened to use a smaller mat than I normally use and its a new mat almost brand new. That old blade cut fabric like it was butter!
    I really believe all the problems I've been having with the skipping and not cutting the fabric is my old cutting mat. I've had it probably twelve years and on occasion I have used a wet/dry sandpaper(600grit almost like Emory Cloth) to smooth out the cut marks. But I think its time to replace the mat. Its not the blades but the mat.
    Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM

I think that if people wouldn't have been so free about telling them what we are using them for, then I have the feeling the prices wouldn't have gone up. It amazed me how many people were so willing to tell the store. Maybe I'm just an ole fuddy duddy. LOL
    Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Your letter really hit home with me! I bought several pkgs. in Portland, OR recently and am using the second one already and it needs to be replaced. Ever since using it I have to go over the cutting line at least twice, sometimes more just to get a few threads that wouldn't cut. Glad to know someone else is having problems. Maybe blade #3 will be my lucky one! :cry:
    Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Has anyone else had problems with their Harbor Freight blades that we ALL had to have? I've opened up two different pkgs. and all four blades have skipped when I cut fabric. There's not a nick and I've looked at them closely and can't see where the problem is. I feel bad about having all these blades that may or may not be damaged. How many pkgs. should I open to find a GOOD one? I gave my DM & one of her friends over 20 pkgs. and now feel I should warn them of the possible problem with the blades. I know I went crazy when ordering these(I got 30 pkgs.) and also picked up 16 pkgs. while on vacation in Oct., but have given over half of them away. Should I go ahead and open another pkg. or just bite the bullet(and pay three times as much) and get them at Jo-Ann's (using a coupon of course) and put these blades up for another day,lol!!! I had bought extra with the intention of putting some in a SQA pkg.!!
    My friend bought a package and found the same thing. I think Harbor Freight ordered so many, their source cut corners. We probably should let Harbor Freight know so they can go back to their vendor and complain.
    Old 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM

I purchased my first blades from HF a couple of weeks ago.I have no problem with them. They are sharp and seem to work very well.
    Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 02ba quilter
    Has anyone else had problems with their Harbor Freight blades that we ALL had to have? I've opened up two different pkgs. and all four blades have skipped when I cut fabric. There's not a nick and I've looked at them closely and can't see where the problem is. I feel bad about having all these blades that may or may not be damaged. How many pkgs. should I open to find a GOOD one? I gave my DM & one of her friends over 20 pkgs. and now feel I should warn them of the possible problem with the blades. I know I went crazy when ordering these(I got 30 pkgs.) and also picked up 16 pkgs. while on vacation in Oct., but have given over half of them away. Should I go ahead and open another pkg. or just bite the bullet(and pay three times as much) and get them at Jo-Ann's (using a coupon of course) and put these blades up for another day,lol!!! I had bought extra with the intention of putting some in a SQA pkg.!!
    My friend bought a package and found the same thing. I think Harbor Freight ordered so many, their source cut corners. We probably should let Harbor Freight know so they can go back to their vendor and complain.
    Think about this, these blades are sold for carpet cutting, the backs of carpet are stiff, and the cutting doesn't need to be perfect, (PILE hides a lot of imperfections on a carpet seam). We are using these blades for a use other than intended, and it maybe that the mfg specs for carpet blades are not as rigid as those for blades we use for fabric. Just a thought. :-)
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
    Originally Posted by 02ba quilter
    Think about this, these blades are sold for carpet cutting, the backs of carpet are stiff, and the cutting doesn't need to be perfect, (PILE hides a lot of imperfections on a carpet seam). We are using these blades for a use other than intended, and it maybe that the mfg specs for carpet blades are not as rigid as those for blades we use for fabric. Just a thought. :-)
    Believe you have nailed the problem. The blades are heavy duty to cut through carpet and conseqently would not be suitable for our delicate fabrics.
    Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the idea it might be the cutting mat! Should be an easy fix and worth the cost if we don't have to change our blades so often.
    Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM

Stopped at my local HF and they have no replacement blades and no idea when they will be getting them. Looked at the cutter, which comes with two blades, and while they look like the blades we use; in my humble opinion they also appear to be thicker and not as finely made. That is fine for cutting carpet, but think I'll stay with the higher priced blades. Fabric is too precious to me to take a chance on messing it up.