Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades???? >
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

• Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
    Originally Posted by gale
    I used to work in retail and I don't remember telling the uppers how people used things (I doubt I ever even had any communication with anyone who had a say in the pricing of items in a chain store like that). I just rang people up or helped them find stuff.

Carpet blades aren't the only thing that have gone up lately.
    So I heard on the news on Tuesday, that cotton prices will be going up because mfgrs let their stocks go low due to the economy slowdown, then there was poor harvest on cotton crop, and most of whats out there is going to come from China, and speculators bought that up planning to resell at higher prices, so GET ready now. :|
    They are going to price themselfs out of business.
    I have used my HF blade for 3 quilts. It just started skipping. I took it out and turned it over like some have said on this post but it did not help. So now I am on my second and it is working as well as the first. I love them.
    Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
    Power Poster

I have to agree, we have no room to complain about these blades in any way because we are NOT using them for their intended purpose. Cutting carpet is not the same as cutting fabric. They may look the same and work the same but they may be inconsistent quality for cutting fabric and I think have the potential to damage our cutting mats over time. Compare it using a butter knife as a screwdriver. Sure it works in a pinch, is probably a lot cheaper then a screwdriver and can do just as good a job but eventually you are going to either ruin the butter knife, strip the screw or do both. It is no different then using fabric scissors for paper. Sure it works great but eventually the scissors will be unsuitable for cutting fabric.

That does not mean we can't use them if we are happy with the performance and willing to take the risk. But if they skip or if they ruin the mats there should be no complaining, whining carrying on etc because you are not using the product for it's intended purpose. Just my 0.02
    Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM

I thought mine were skipping too but then realized I had two blades stuck together and felt really stupid. Once I separated them, they have performed beautifully and keep waiting for my local HF to get some more in!
    Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ladybugnana
    I thought mine were skipping too but then realized I had two blades stuck together and felt really stupid. Once I separated them, they have performed beautifully and keep waiting for my local HF to get some more in!
    Yes they come 2 to the pkg and are very thin and will definitely stick together. I did that too.
    Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 PM

I just tried one and it cut great for about 5 minutes and then nothing. I turned it over and nothing, so I sharpened it and still nothing. The second one was no better, and then I quit trying because I really needed to finish my blocks. I guess if none of them work it will have taught me a lesson. Thank goodness I didn't buy more than 9.
    Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 AM

I also haven't had any probles with them. As thin as they are, are you sure you don't have two blades in your cutter at the same time. Just a suggestion. I've heard people do this before.
    Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM

I haven't had any problem with them yet. I have been using my first blade since I got the first week of October.
    Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    ? I've opened up two different pkgs. and all four blades have skipped when I cut fabric. There's not a nick and I've looked at them closely and can't see where the problem is.
    I wonder if you tightened your rotary cutter too tight? I used to have that exact problem until I realized that if I tighten it all the way and then back it off a little, it works much better. You have to give the blade room to move. I think one of the rotarty companies says this in their directions about replacing blades.
    Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM

I have made 4 quilts on one blade and it shows no signs of slipping. I put a tiny drop of oil on the plastic part of my cutter, then the blade, works like magic. Definitely sharper than Olfa's. Do not over tighten or you will have problems and make sure no dust bunnies or threads on cutter or blade.
    Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM

maybe this is silly to ask, have you made sure you only have one blade in? a friend of mine had two blades in and cutting was a mess. she decided to change the blade and found she was using 2. took one off and the single blade worked fine.