Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades???? >
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

• Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM

Mine we not skipping a few threads, but at least 1/4" or more. I could live with a few threads, but not this much. At least the third pkg. of blades is GOOD and I'll get rid of the bad ones. Having a blade skip kind of slowed down my cutting. It's all fixed now and feels better,lol! I sure didn't want to pass along any bad product to my SQA or my DM! I guess you get what you pay for, but at the inexpensive price I'm doing pretty good with the ones I still have to use and surely it's enough for a very long time.
    Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Could it be they are not as "precise" since they in theory are manufactured/marketed to slice into carpeting, so a few imperfections wouldn't be noticeable cutting that compared to a few thin layers of fabric?
    Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM

If the blades are not right, take them back. I would not keep anything that did not work. Maybe the manufacturer is having a problem. They were on back-order for 6 weeks or more.
    I am mailing blades to 4 members and hope they are OK. I do not intend to "test" them before I mail them.

June
    Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 PM

I have not had any problems either, but then I am only on my first set. Some folks said they accidently put two blades on the cutter and it did not work correctly. Found the problem, removed one of the blades , and it cuts fine.
    I have not seen the cutter some of the blades came with, but I would definitely be using my own cutter. I have a Fiskars, ok, several Fiskars.
    Good luck.
    Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Mine works wonderfully, and when I wore one side out, I flipped it and started out on the other side. So far, having 2 in at once has been the most common cause of skipping that I've heard about.
    Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 PM

I am not sure but I know my cutting mat was the cause of my issues with skipping. I changed the mat with the same HF blades and no issue.
    Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Has anyone else had problems with their Harbor Freight blades that we ALL had to have? I've opened up two different pkgs. and all four blades have skipped when I cut fabric. There's not a nick and I've looked at them closely and can't see where the problem is. I feel bad about having all these blades that may or may not be damaged. How many pkgs. should I open to find a GOOD one? I gave my DM & one of her friends over 20 pkgs. and now feel I should warn them of the possible problem with the blades. I know I went crazy when ordering these(I got 30 pkgs.) and also picked up 16 pkgs. while on vacation in Oct., but have given over half of them away. Should I go ahead and open another pkg. or just bite the bullet(and pay three times as much) and get them at Jo-Ann's (using a coupon of course) and put these blades up for another day,lol!!! I had bought extra with the intention of putting some in a SQA pkg.!!
    I have also had problems. So far I have only opened one pack and tried the two blades; neither of them cut without skipping! I will try another pack and if they don't do any better, I'll return them to Harbor Freight!
    Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM
    Power Poster

Mine skip.
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 AM

I used one blade and cut out a whole quilt (large) and the blade is still sharp! I usually went with one blade per quilt, but HF's last longer yet! I am very pleased with them. Edie
    Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 AM

Mine work just fine. And I don't feel guilty about changing the blade!