Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades???? >
  • Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

• Any Problems with the Harbor Freight Blades????

Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Sometimes it's not the blade but the mat !!!!!! Sounds weird but they do get used alot.

Try using a section that doesn't get used much (far corner?) or turn over the mat (if it's a green one) and use that side. Usually no guidelines, but still a cutting mat! I hope it's just that one package... good luck.
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Wow I haven't had any trouble either, The are so nice and sharp.
    Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM

I was told at the AQS show in Des Moines that hte HF blades will ruin your cutting mat. I haven't had any so I don't know this for sure, but they advised against using them.
    Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Aw Come On! Ruin the mats, how? I can't see how they can ruin a mat any more than any other brand. They just want to sell their expensive blades and make money. Truth be told, we just "might" find out the same company makes them for any number of brands and for HF too.

Those blades have to be sharp to cut carpet backing. Think about it.

I won't buy into that one. They are just upset because they can't find them and save some money!

June
    Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 AM

No problems with my HF blades. Love them and am waiting for more to come into stock at my local store.
    Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM

I love mine
    Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 AM
    mac

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Originally Posted by Queen
    My first blade that I put in skipped. I took it back out turned it over and it works just fine now. I am beginning to think the blades go in only one way and you have to try it both ways to see which way is best.

Mary
    I thought that too and turned ALL four of them over thinking they only fit in one way, but they still skipped. I did finally open up another pkg. and the blade is FINE. I guess I just got a few bad blades. I was really feeling bad since I've given over half of them away and didn't want to give them (especially my Mom) bad product. I even tried the "bad" blades in my other cutters(since I have four different ones) and they skipped cutting in them too. I'll just dispose of them and use the others. I really CAN'T complain no more than I paid for them. I was just checking to see if I was the only one to have problems. If I continued to have this problem I was going to return them and get my money back. Glad no one else is having any trouble.
    I just bought some HFT blades so that I could teach my SIL how to use a rotary cutter. The blade started skipping right away for her. When I used it, it wouldn't skip. I finally noticed that she was not holding the cutter in her hand at a 45 degree angle to the fabric. When I suggested that she raise the angle up a bit, she didn't have any trouble at all. Everytime she started to lower the angle of her hand, it would skip again.

I am sure that once in a while there will be a defective blade in a package. I have even had defective Olfa blades. At the price for an Olfa blade, I took it back to the Joann's and exchanged it. Fortunately, I had just bought it.
    Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
    Originally Posted by sahm4605
    Originally Posted by auntmag
    I bought a rotary cutter and blade from HF last year. The blade would not cut fabric at all.
    did you put the blade in your cutter? the cutter that you buy from them are worthless unless you are using them on carpet. I have had wonderful success with mine. there has been a couple of times that it didn't cut the fabric but that was user error not the blade or cutter.
    I hope you didn't try to use the cutter on fabric. I bought the cutter and Blades as they didn't have just the blades. Opened it up tossed the cutter and am still on my first blade.
    I'm still using the first blade, and its working great. I too had to buy the cutter to get the blade. I threw the cutter away.
    Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM

A Colorado quilter here. I didn't know about getting blades at HB. My husband and I are HB fanatics. Just paid big bucks for five replacement blades for my Olfa at Jo Ann's. Feel like a total dummy, never thought to check HB, but perhaps I'll wait until the question of quality is resolved.
    Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Why wait? at $1. per blade, (2 per pack @ $1.99) you might not find them later. They are "carpet cutter blades" if you phone and ask about them.

June in Cincinnati