Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any quilting tips for someone with limited mobility in arms and shoulders? >
  • Any quilting tips for someone with limited mobility in arms and shoulders?

• Any quilting tips for someone with limited mobility in arms and shoulders?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM

I did my Farmer's Wife Quilt QAYG--lots of 6" blocks. I quilted each block with just the block and batting. Then I added the sashing and sewed all the blocks and rows together. I used a solid piece of fabric for the backing. Then all I had to quilt was the sashing and borders. The back of the quilt only shows a grid pattern--just the quilting in the sashing & borders. It doesn't create those large lumps in the seam lines. I think this is called a false back and is frowned upon in quilt shows. Do I care? No! I have a lovely finished quilt that didn't cause tremendous shoulder and neck pain and it's finished. Maybe doing QAYG this way would help with your hand & shoulder issues.
    Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 PM

I have severe chronic back pain, so I know how you feel.My Chiropractor impressed on me to work on anything no longer than 20 minutes at a time. Set a timer in another room, so that you have to go to the other room to turn the timer off. I'm not quite clear about QAYG having bumps. What do you mean by "bumps"? I have made a QAYG quilt and it came out beautiful and there were not any bumps.I actually like QAYG method a lot.Check out Bayside Quilting and their Fun and Done method. Watch the Fun and Done video and see if that may be something you might be interested in. Good Luck!
    Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 PM

I have seen many quilts that just straight stitch with their walking foot when quilting and it looks wonderful. Maybe that would be easier on your shoulder. I know I have to wear gloves when I quilt. Other wise my hands hurt. It really helps a lot to move hold on to the fabric. I even use gloves now when I machine bind.