Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any way to save this mis-cut border? >
  • Any way to save this mis-cut border?

• Any way to save this mis-cut border?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 AM

maybe if you iron the seams open it wouldn't be so bulky. or piece the squares with some other coordinating fabric.
    Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 AM

You are not stupid!!! You are having a learning experience.. There are several solutions to what can be done.. try some of the suggestions that have been posted or what ever you come up with that works for you!!! I have seen and used pieced binding strips...but the easy way is use it for something else and cut another strip that will work the way you want it to.. Proverbs says "wise persons learn and are wiser" so please don't call yourself "stupid" Have a GREAT DAY!

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
    Hey everybody. I am so stupid.....repeat to infinity. I have a green and red stripe for binding that was supposed to be cut across the width of the fabric so that there would be horizontal stripes on the binding. Naturally, I very carefully and accurately cut it lengthwise...! Lengthwise stripe binding definitely doesn't add to the quilt. Do you think I could cut the lengthwise strips down into squares an sew them back together on the horizontal and make that work? Too much trouble? Thanks!
    Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM

I've had extra 5" piano key border in the past that I cut in 1/2 and made into binding. On purpose!!! If you have the time and you want it, do it. It has been stated that it will make it bulky. Big deal. Sew what! If the look you're going for is do-able, I say "Do it!" It will be a little of a pain in the butt if you hand sew on 1/2 of the binding. Many seams, make for hand sewing through many layers. But in the long run, no one will notice that they're only 2 1/2" pieces. Galloping horse, right?

Good luck with your decision and your quilt. No need to toss or re-use. Use that material for it's original purpose! I'd love to hear from you if you decide to use it after all!
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM

I think your idea would work, if you think it will be too many seams for the binding maybe a narrow border before the
    binding? Do not be so hard on yourself, most of us have our mistakes that cause increased creative solutions!
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM

What a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for sharing it!
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskaAlice
    You are not stupid!!! You are having a learning experience.. There are several solutions to what can be done.. try some of the suggestions that have been posted or what ever you come up with that works for you!!! I have seen and used pieced binding strips...but the easy way is use it for something else and cut another strip that will work the way you want it to.. Proverbs says "wise persons learn and are wiser" so please don't call yourself "stupid" Have a GREAT DAY!
    Thanks! I know I shouldn't be calling myself that. I'll try to do better!
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM

You can, but it's a lot of work. I made a lap quilt for my Son in law from my 2 grandsons outgrown shirts. I used 2.5 inch wide scraps, some long, some short for the binding. It looks pretty good, but was kind of bulky when sewing.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM

I would just use the cut stripe and cornerstones to make sashing on another quilt.
    Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM

It disturbs me to see you say three different times that you are dumb or not smart. Please don't put yourself down like that. You are smart ... you are computer literate, you spell correctly, and on top of that, you are a quilter! Please think more highly of yourself. You are very important to a lot of people, I'm sure! Blessings and hugs!

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
    My bad. Didn't mean to lead you astray. See, I told you I wasn't smart. Wonder if I can fix the title?
    Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK
    It disturbs me to see you say three different times that you are dumb or not smart. Please don't put yourself down like that. You are smart ... you are computer literate, you spell correctly, and on top of that, you are a quilter! Please think more highly of yourself. You are very important to a lot of people, I'm sure! Blessings and hugs!
    I know you really don't think that you are stupid. But sometimes we do stupid things. And then I think, how could I have done that. But I, too, appreciate the correct spelling. It makes your posts a joy to read.

As for computer literacy, I can do a few things, but surely feel stupid when I know I should be able to do things on my computer and don't know how. If I would spend a little more time figuring these things out instead of spending all my time on this quilting board, I might get somewhere! LOL