Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone that can give me some help, Raise your hands >
  • Anyone that can give me some help, Raise your hands

• Anyone that can give me some help, Raise your hands

Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    The hand stitiching to the back of the quilt is my most probable solution, but the problem is I cannot seem to ise the PIGMA pens. The micro are to thin and I have a 1.0 in black and it seems that I'm following my printing well enough. I hate it looking sluppy after the fun I had making them. Is there a favrotie technique to getting the pen to work as well as you want it too and is the 1.0 pen better then the "fine" tip pen. This darn arthritis in my hands is a killer, but I sure don't mine trying.. So thoughts again on on the pen and hair stitiching the label on.
    When I use a pigma on quilts for the label on the back I never use anything smaller than .05, I have also used an 08
    Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM

When you use the pigma pen, write slowly and it looks better.
    Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 PM

A signature block, to me, is one of the most personal things that is part of my quilts as are many others. This block can contain the person to whom it has been made for, the occasion, or simply a small signature stating possible the name of the quilt, i.e. "blocks for baby", it can be a very beautiful block in flawing with the quilt it self, or a small but neat little signature as I know several quilters that do a lot of personal work have their signature name with a little doddle or heart or whatever. It is their personal signature. So, for me, and I will admit it out loud as I am no longer embarrassed by it, am not well and in addition to other problems left from brain surgery - twice - there are many things I forget or even something so simple as signing the back of a quilt. To me, what little that I can do, I am proud enough of it, mistakes and all, to want the name of the quilt and that, with all the love I have in making, want my name to be own. Heck I could probably call half of my quilts, Ms Claire's guessing game.. count how mistakes you can find before lights out... it is all in the way you want to identify what you have done to whom you have either "done" to. (grin) or whom you have given it to in love.

made with love,
    Claire
    date
    Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM

I make a lot of mine on my computer using different fonts.
    I've used June Taylor transfer paper and Printed Treasures
    but I've also used a lighter version of whatever fabric is on the back---something either solid or mottled--ironed on to freezer paper and then run through my printer. I usually do a sample on regular paper first to see how it positions, etc.
    Then I attach to small piece of tape to hold the freezer paper to the fabric so it doesn't get caught in the printer.
    Sometimes my handwriting isn't good enough and the computer makes nice clear letters. I always add my label to the back because I think on the front would detract from the design.
    I always include who it's for, my name and the date and if it's for a special occasion I note that as well.
    Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
    Kas

The hand stitiching to the back of the quilt is my most probable solution, but the problem is I cannot seem to ise the PIGMA pens. The micro are to thin and I have a 1.0 in black and it seems that I'm following my printing well enough. I hate it looking sluppy after the fun I had making them. Is there a favrotie technique to getting the pen to work as well as you want it too and is the 1.0 pen better then the "fine" tip pen. This darn arthritis in my hands is a killer, but I sure don't mine trying.. So thoughts again on on the pen and hair stitiching the label on.
    Press the piece of muslin or whatever fabric you are using for the label onto a piece of freezer paper. Then I take an index card and then use a sharpie to make the lines bold. Let that dry well and put it under the label fabric and freezer paper so you can use the lines as a guide to keep your writing from either inching up or down. I have a real problem with keeping my writing straight. It probably doesn't matter anyway since my writing is so TERRIBLE. Whatever. It is made with love, right?
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM

I agree that you could write it out first on paper and then trace it by machine or by hand onto your fabric. If you have a light box, trace it with a very fine mechanical pencil then machine stitch over that, and wala stitch the label on the back.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM
    Power Poster

I make a large muslin heart that I free motion quilt onto the back.
    Old 07-18-2010, 04:34 AM

In the Elm Creek books, Sylvia says her Mother signed her initials & then embroidered over them. I've been stitching MOMMM on mine but I intend to order some prof labels.
    Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Try to find a Pigma Brush pen. The tip is sort of a felt tip in a brush shape. Softer and wider than the micro tip pens. Don't press too hard with it, or the point "mushes out". But it is much like using a fine brush to write with.
    There are also other acid free pens that will work, and be permanent on fabric. Some are "dye" pens, some pigment pens.
    I have found several different ones at JoAnn's, in the fabric dyeing/embellishing section. Some scrapbooking pens also work well.

A label is a nice way to let others know about the quilt you made. Who made it, when, where, name, if from a pattern/book and so on. Think about all the vintage and antique quilts that we know so very little about, often not even exactly when they were made or by whom. So sad.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx