Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

• Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM

I know what you mean. People think that I am weird because I like to cook from scratch. I have even had some people to ask me what from scratch means LOL. However, my family does like it when I make quilts and things for them. I just enjoy doing these things when I have time. I am like you though I do keep a lot of things for myself.
    Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM

I do have a tendency to give away my quilts. (I promised my DH I would keep one for everyone I give, in the future). Personally I think homemade/handmade are the most special of gifts. A home decorated with handmade originals are the best.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
    I read on this board a lot about how many quilters never keep any of their quilts and give away everything they make.I have about a dozen projects planned for the future, and they're all for me! Part of the reason is that we moved into a 2000 sqf house two years ago and it's half empty. Walls call out for wall hangings, tables call out for runners, chairs crave quilts draped over their backs. Another part of the reason I'm such a selfish quilter is that I know exactly no one who would want anything homemade. In my husband's family, it's never occurred to anyone to do anything for themselves. They think it is so weird that I cook from scratch and knit and sew. Heck, they think it's weird that I clean my house instead of stacking all my stuff on the floor, letting it collect dust (hoarding tendencies run in the fam). My SIL cooks brownies out of a box and I'll have to hear her husband and my in-laws go on about how she's the homemaker and chef of the year. My family is more or less the same way. I told my mom I was going to make an apron and some placemats and she immediately ran out to buy me some "real" ones. Which is why we only give out gift cards or cash for Christmas anymore.

Am I alone in this? I won't ever be making a quilt for anyone but me.
    I fell sorry for those who do not appreciate your efforts. I'd love it if someone made me a quilt! I give away a lot of quilts, too. Most go to friends or family that I know will appreciate them. A few have gone to those that may not. I don't dwell on those. And this year I made quilts for myself, too.

Enjoy your gifts!
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm kinda selfish ... I do make quilts for the grands, started for 3 dd and have made small ones for myself. Now want to make more of them for my walls, like you.

But I've been thinking I need to make donation quilts, gotta 'pay it forward' for being blessed with a large stash and the time to make them.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM

I make children or baby quilts to give to famil or friends as gifts. In the past I have made quilts for daughters and brothers. I just send a large fannel quilt to my great grandson. He is 1 and 1/2 yrs old. I will not ddo this unless i think they will appreciate. I do know what you are dealing with. Not everyone knows the good things in life. Merry Christmas to you!
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Not yet. I made a quilt for our son and daughter in law, they immediately put it on their bed. Our grandson was thrilled to get one and it has pictures of relatives on it with background of musical instruments. Then there was our DIL's brother. Made him a Nascar quilt and now it is the only thing he makes sure he takes with him everytime he moves. So much love goes into making them; later I will post the one I am finishing for my husband (our bed).
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
    I told my mom I was going to make an apron and some placemats and she immediately ran out to buy me some "real" ones.
    My first thought about this was, "I wonder how many blocks I can get out of this apron..."
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM

If they don't know the work/effort that goes into the project they won't appreciate it, and why give it to them if they're not going to appreciate it? I'd be selfish too! In some ways I am. However, if I make something for someone and all the while I'm making it I'm thinking of them, then in the end, I feel compelled to give it to them with a note informing I had a wonderful time reminiscing of them.
    If you want to find out if family members will appreciate something you make for them, make them a hotpad, pillowcase, or something small and see how they take care of it.
    Next time your SIL brags about her bownies, remind her you can pronounce the ingredients in yours.
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 PM

No you are not alone. I knit, crochet, quilt and do counted cross stitch. I have done a few other things as well. My mom did all of the above, but only my darling mother in law was the only one in that family who did anything. She taught me to quilt and I love it. I am giving two quilts as gifts for Christmas and really hate parting with them. It is almost like giving away my children. I also cook from scrtch. Occassionally I have to use a mix, so I have more time to quilt. Keep up the good work.
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM

You aren't selfish, your families just don't appreciate your efforts and some people never will. Make quilts for yourself and enjoy them! Give the others gift cards...they don't get it anyway!