Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

• Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lynmccoy
    Is it possible someone took the quilt outside and left it there without them knowing about it? If not, I would ask if I could take the quilt back home since they so obviously don't want it.
    I couldn't take the quilt back .It had already started to mildew. It had clearly been there a long time. It made me sad but like I said, they don't care for their things. The worst thing is that the fabric was super expensive and hard to find. But we all live and learn....
    Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM

got a good laugh out of "buying you some "real" quilts".
    I made a Christmas quilt for each of three kids. the DIL left hers at my house that year. "forgot it". she "forgot it" two other times also. I told my D to be sure that when I die she gives the quilt to DIL so she can see the pretty label--and the year the quilt was made. making projects for your own home is not "selfish". it is loving & caring for your own.
    People are sure funny about quilts. sometimes I think they think all of us quilters are crazy spending our time cutting & resewing. but we know---we are the best !!!
    Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Maybe I am more selfish than you. I very seldom give quilts away. But, when I do the person knows they are special. I love the whole process. I love picking a pattern or taking a class, picking out the fabrics, cutting sewing and quilting. I put so much love into my quilts and a lot of time and money, too. I just love to keep them. I don't have a very big house and don't use them much for decorating. I keep them in a chest and love to take them out and look at them. I do have two quilt hangers and change the quilts on them. I do make quilts for charity and QOV and for gifts, but I know ahead of time that they will be going away. But, I just love my quilts.
    Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Luckily here most here are used and liked as far as I know or were kind enough not to say anything, or me find them in strange places, and plenty seem to ask for them, the list seems endless, just have a few for me.
    Do as you like, your work and creativity that goes into it, so your choice what happens to them.
    I might be tempted to mention to family the enjoyment this gives you to do hand crafted goodies, and ask why it's a bad thing, in their eyes, I'd be tempted to ask for reciept for placemats so can go get fabric to make some, or would that be to onrey:)
    Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 PM

i only give out quilts to people that i know will really appreciate them and know how much work goes into makeing one . the rest are mine , trying to save them to give to my kids and grands to keep as a keepsake and use them the way they want to
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM

You're not selfish. Keep on quilting and enjoy the home making. Unless you quilt or spend many hours creating something, you can't really know the time, effort and expense of a craft. Some families just don't get it.
    Happy quilting.
    Annie
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Oh yes, the 'real' aprons made me chuckle.
    Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 AM
    Jim

Sunny thats not being selfish...you decorate your home with love and in quilting you have to "LOVE" it dearly. I am so pleased that I have never had anyone ever say that they didn't want a quilt...sometimes when I am bogged down I'd like to hear it..not really. I gave my wife my very first quilt and we have two others..both of which my daughter has claimed(that was about 400 quilts ago). Other than that I always have a list of quilts that I "OWE" or want to make for someone or some occasion. I love to make them for those who love them but, often get too tied up with orders to make, especially when I am wanting to make a try pattern out.
    Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM

You are right. They just don't get it.
    Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
    You aren't selfish, your families just don't appreciate your efforts and some people never will. Make quilts for yourself and enjoy them! Give the others gift cards...they don't get it anyway!
    Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 AM

My Mom has a thing about cleaning out stuff and giving it to Good will or someone I don't even know. She does this with every thing she as received from us kids so we are very carefull now what we give her.