Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

• Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM

I am a "selfish" quilter. I am making quilts for my grandkids and many others for myself. I have patterns and fabric that I really like and I am not willing to share. Also I can not afford to give $200 gifts to friends and family. Maybe when my GK get married but the at is a long time away.
    Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Not really. I mean, I plan on making things for myself, but I plan on making things for others. I feel a little more satisfaction from giving things I have made to someone else because I get to see them go "Oh wow!/This is really beautiful!/How thoughtful!/I bet this took a lot of work!/Thank you!" and getting that sense of appreciation and knowing that all that work I put in to making something personalized just for that person paid off. When I make stuff for myself its just me going "You done good."
    Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Isnt it wonderful that you've the time and the talent to make so many things. Some us like chocolate and some of us like vanilla, sounds like your the chocolate lover in a vanilla family.
    Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Sunnycat, I completely relate to all you said. Btw, decorating your home with your love and effort and creativity is NOT selfish. Your family and guests benefit from the environment you create in your home. Nurturing your family before gift giving seems fine to me. For those who have the time and resources and appropriately grateful recepients, giving quilts is also lovely. Personally, I'm glad that I have 3 afgans and a baby blanket from my master-knitter Grandma who knit for the WW2 effort and the family, but not so much for others. No guilt, Sunnycat, create for yourself to your heart's content!
    Ditto this! Making quilts for your home is wonderful. Although, I'm sure you would find it satisfying to have someone appreciate a hand made gift but unfortunately there are some people who just don't get it. Enjoy your home, I'm sure it is warm and inviting.
    Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM

No, you're not selfish. Watch the youngsters, though, you may discover one or more who would love to learn from you.
    Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM

I guess I am selfish too. I am fairly new to this hobby, and I have made 12 quilts, keeping all but two. There is too much work in a quilt to give it to someone who doesn't appreciate that. I have made a quilt for my sister-in-law for Christmas, but I don't have any more gifts planned. I mainly sew for me. I just trade my quilts out when I am ready for a change. :)
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 PM

I have a 4 year old granddaughter who has already asked me to teach her told to make "pretty purple quilts". Anytime my daughter comes over and I'm working on a quilt that happens to be purple ,Kaylee (granddaughter) tells me how pretty it is and can she buy it. She offers me a special price that means more than any amount of money. We call it Kaylee price,and it is a hug and a kiss.My daughter told her around the 3rd or 4th quilt that she couldn't have all the purple quilts,that granny had to sell them.So my smart granddaughter came up with Kaylee price. Both I was trying not to laugh, because Kaylee had come up a solution that her mamma couldn't argue with.
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 PM

I only give to people who I know will really appreciate the gifts.

So far I haven't finished a quilt just for me. Much like you - my house is bare, and is screaming out for wall hangings, runners, and quilts. I moved into my house 3 years ago. So I best get a wiggle on :)
    Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 PM

My family and DH's family is just the opposite, they really appreciate all of the homemade gifts of quilts, table runners, and wall hangings that I make. Each wants one, so I have a never ending list of who to give something to. We also have 5 children and 2 grandchildren who appreciate all that Mom makes :-) It's very inspiring.
    Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 AM

I don't think you are being selfish, either. You are decorating your home.

Besides, to people who don't appreciate handmade, your present is "just another piece of stuff lying around" and you are giving them a problem.

So, because of that, you are extra thoughtful and considerate, in giving a gift that they want instead of what YOU like.

I've often wondered about this when I see quilters giving people all kinds of handmade/homemade things. If the relatives would rather have a SD memory card for their camera or telephone, we'd be better off being sensitive and giving the SD card to them and keeping the quilt/handwork for someone who wants and appreciates it.