Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >
  • Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

• Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 PM

Linda, I would say you touched a nerve here with so many pages in just a few days with your question.

Funny to find that other quilters think similarly to me... same old same old... gets tiring after a while. I haven't done the Barnes and Noble coffee mag browsing but that sounds wonderful in so many ways. Especially in the pocket book. We can use those extra $$ saved for the extra expense of rising fabric prices.
    :shock: :shock:
    Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

I received my AQS magazine today...not too bad and at least it had more than 10 pages!!
    Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM

I've let mine lapse. I decided it was better to look at the newsstand and buy a single copy of a magazine thaat has something tha I like than have a subscription. That way I get only what I want, instead of whole issues of items I don't want to make.
    Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM

I have stopped all my subscriptions. Like all the other magazines there is more ads than artcles or pictures. I get more from this wonderful board or the Internet
    Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 PM

I was sew glad to see this ! I went to the library and looked at a couple magazines nothing in them struck me enough to buy one. I thought maybe I was being frugal but I see everyon is at the same burnout.
    Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM

I agree also, I am getting more inspiration on the net, or here on the blog. I hate to part with them, so I have a ton to look back thru when I need a paper copy.
    Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

I stopped most of my subscriptions. I still get Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting, but my mom pays for that one. I don't know if she renewed it this year or not. I enjoy looking at it, but I rarely make anything from it. I do get McCall's, American Quilter and Quilter's Home. I am really rethinking what I can afford in subscriptions. I'd rather have the money to actually do a project than just look at some pretty pictures.
    Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM

I no longer buy magazines. They containe way too much advertizing and not enough patterns and sewing advise. They are hard to store. I now save my money for good quality books that are filled with techniques to make new blocks or simplify old blocks I have admired for years but have been too intimidated to make.
    Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM

I have several reasons for not renewing my quilt magazines. I hate all the pages of advertising, the loose postcards that fall out of the magazines everywhere, and the price we have to pay for them. If they have that much advertising I would think the subscription price could drop. Also some of them don't put the expiration date on the address label and you keep renewing because they keep sending letters saying your subscription is about to expire. They are right, my subscriptions are about to expire and I won't renew.
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I was reviewing an OLD quilting magazine this morning while waiting in a repair shop and this 1984 magazine was most interesting. I don't suppose anyone KNOWS how to make SUN PRINTS or knows how they printed photos on the quilts back in '84?