Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >
  • Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

• Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM

I have found only one new quilting magazine that I like to buy -- "The Quilt Life"... the editors are Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims and it is published by the American Quilt Society...

Like everyone else, the rest of the mags are just re-cycled patterns, pushing the latest and coordinated-color fabric lines... who needs that? I've been especially disappointed with the Fons & Porter magazine (the name escapes me now)...
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 AM

[quote=Prism99]The magazines have changed greatly over the years. The old ones used to have a lot of detailed articles on techniques and always seemed to feature at least one stunningly original quilt. Now the emphasis seems to be on pushing specific product lines of fabric. Fabric is featured in relatively simple quilt patterns.

I fully agree with all the comments but really feel Prism99 said what I think is the true reason for having magazines--sell products. The quilts are just old patterns with new fabrics and using the new tools they want us to buy.

I get 1 magazine, QuiltMaker, because of StashBuster Bonnie so I can use up my stash. I am so very inspired by the members of this group.
    I feel this group is better than any magazine out there. Members offer all the personal help one could ever ask for and more.
    I love this group for all the great projects members have shown not to mention all the tuts shared.
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM

I agree that they have become boring. Same on things. I pulled out a mag from 1997. It had some beautiful quilts. Watch for the old Mags at thrift sales.
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM

I still love Australian Quilting and Patchwork because I love scrap quilts and so many of their projects are scrappy instead of focusing on a certain fabric line done in the traditional way.
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Yep. Got one yesterday. I thumbed through it and was discarded into my pile within ten minutes; probably never to be looked at again. However, I can spend hours here looking at everything yall have made and I never get tired. Just get new ideas and inspirations.
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 AM

When I first started quilting I got Fons and Porters Love of Quilting, however I feel I have outgrown it. It was great for learning. I now feel I need more of a challenge than they offer. I have started getting Quilting Arts magazine. I want to try some new techniques. I can get it online so am not using up a tree. I too have enjoyed the Australian Quilting and Patchwork magazine.
    Our guild has an exchange table and I'll pick up a few magazines, if there is anything I like I copy it and then return the magazine to the exchange table. I have found that the older magazines have many more interesting patterns.
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi . Just found a place for my past issues. We meet at the Quilt House . It has special place along one wall for books. So I donate my past issues as we have several new people that are beginners and also we can brouse through them if we need a different pattern,or just an idea. This way a lot of people can enjoy them. Our group is very shareing. I do agree that after a time they have either very intricate patterns or just different colors for the same old patterns, Its more fun to design your own!! Marvel
    Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM

I only get one now, Quick Quilts, and if there isn't more then 3 patterns that I want, I remove those and put them in a notebook and pass the magazine to one of my quilting friends, that way it gets recycled so to speak and not gathering dust in my quilt room.
    Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1rottendog
    Yes -- they are all starting to look alike. Maybe I have too many of them. Letting all my subscriptions run out.
    Ditto
    Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 AM

I agree with all of you. Everything I have made in the past four months is from old magazines. I use to subscribe to all the magazines but now I only get Fons and Porter. I always use my coupons at AC Moore to buy a magazine if I want it. My new favorite is Fabric Trends.