Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else do a crazy thing like this??? >
  • Anyone else do a crazy thing like this???

• Anyone else do a crazy thing like this???

Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 AM

My mom and I went to a retreat last year and had precut fabric for a Queen size quilt. About half way through the class I brought to the instructor's attention the fact that she had her measurements incorrect and the entire class had actually bought and cut enough material for TWO Queen size quilts! And, we had sewn about half of it together, so instead of leaving with one finished quilt top, we left with two half finished quilt tops!! And, yes, they are still half finished!!
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM

O yes, so I just make one for EACH of my guilds...
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 AM

That's great, you can make an Orphan Block quilt!
    I'm making a 9-Patch Snowball quilt and deliberately made too many blocks. They are going on the back...and if I say so myself, it is beautiful! My only problem is that the back is so pretty it could (should?) be a front! Then I'd have TWO quilts!
    My Bff made a strippy quilt with mostly blue strips. Then she machine-appliqued 7 daisies. It is her keeper! This pic is before she bound it.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-85692.jpe  
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 AM

I tend to end up with extra pieces if I'm strip cutting, but don't consider it a problem as I know they will eventually be used somewhere down the line.
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 AM

I just did a dresden plate--Quilt in a day pattern. The pattern called for 30 blocks--did 32 to account for 2 shams. I get to putting the thing together after cutting, stitching, appliqueing them all, adding bias tape around all the centers because they didn't look good without it---all together, weeks worth of intense work. I did the math to put the thing together and found that the queen sized quilt only needed 9 of them. I have enough done to do two more quilts. Shaking my head--At leat I have 2 more Christmas presents half done.
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 AM

That's great, you can make an Orphan Block quilt!
    Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM

I know a while ago when crumb blocks were being discussed on here I had a ton of small pieces of scraps and decided to make some of those blocks. Well, I did get carried away and when I finally got around to counting blocks I reckon I have enough for at least 4 quilts. I did enjoy making them though.
    Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM

I emptied a drawer where I throw many of my scraps. Ironed them all nice and pretty, than began to cut them up! Took me two days (it's a small drawer!). Tried for a 6" block, then a 3"block, 2 1/2" strip, 1 1/2" block or 1" strip. Whatever I could get from the leftover. Now I need to start sewing them or trading them! I'm not even going to open the other drawer (it's bigger!).

I love scrappy quilts!
    Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM

I have only done one or two scrappy quilts but I am never sure just what to cut ahead. How does one know what size to cut unless you have a specific pattern in mind? I have huge variety of different cuts of fabrics given to me and I am at a loss as to what exactly I have to do. I usually end up buying fabric for a specific quilt so I hardly made a dent in my large stash. I suppose if I analyze the directions for several scrappy quilts, I will see a pattern of sizes emerge. I am fairly new so I am really ignorant of what I have to do. Thank you.
    Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Late Bloomer, check out quiltville.com. That is where I got my start to learn how to cut up my scraps. I have made so many of her quilts I have lot count. Love her site. Bonnie Hunter has a column in Quiltville this year. That is what I am working on right now. Love, love, love her quilts.