Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This? >
  • Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

• Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM

I have not made the same quilt twice and really don't want to. I enjoy the process and when I am finished with one I am ready to try something new. Always like the challenge and feel great when it is completed. But I know, if one of my grandchildren asked me to make a duplicate one, I will be able to be convinced!!!
    Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM

I agree with DebraK I do what I want to do and do it because I want to. I don't take requests. If a particular quilts suits your fancy and I am in a generous mood, you can have it.
    Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM

I am trying to get out of that rut right now. I have made 4 children's I spy quilts in a row. So thankful next quilt is for a young lady beyond that stage. Hiding my template now!
    Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM

great reply dunster
    Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 AM

Twinkie - I heartily agree with Dunster's reply because what I'm reading into your post is that you are making quilts to please a lot of others. I'm sorry to have to say this but you need to be a little bit selfish!! In my most humble opinion, my quilting is for me and if anyone within my circle of family or friends shows an interest in my passion for quilting, they will eventually receive something I've made. But I refuse to be bogged down with "Oooo, I love that, can you make one for me?" My time is precious and I simply refuse to put myself under any kind of pressure. Maybe I sound a bit too harsh, but at 61 years old, I've worked very hard for many years to get to a point where my time is now my own and I'm going to enjoy it without pressure to meet any 'outside imposed deadlines'. For your own sanity, you must learn to politely refuse those requests.

Last edited by Debbie C; 09-19-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 AM

The only quilt I can remember making more than once is Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Bargello and that wasn't one after the other, the quilts were separated by at least a couple years. If someone says to me, "Oh, I saw the quilt you made for so-and-so and I just love it, could you make one for me," I just smile sweetly and tell them I'll be happy to put their name on the list -- and that it will take about 5 years for their name to come to the top! They always look shocked that it takes that long but they let the subject drop. Quilts for my family members don't take quite that long, but it still takes about two years ...
    Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

Thanks for posting the link. I have downloaded it and hope to make it soon.
    Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK

I like to make what I want to make.
    Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
    Lately, when I have been quilting, it seems I have to make several of the same quilt pattern. Although they are more time consumming than difficult, I have had to make about 12 rag quilts. It seems one person sees one and then they want one and another person sees that one, and so on and so on. I am tired of making these right now but have several I have to complete. Just wondered if I am the only one who finds themselves in a rut?
    People seldom realize the time, costs, and effort involved in quilting. The assumption is that if it's homemade it must be inexpensive. I offer to teach the requester how to make the quilt for free. I only make the quilts that I want to make and at this point, I have a large number in queue.
    Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mjmachin
    I have not made the same quilt twice and really don't want to. I enjoy the process and when I am finished with one I am ready to try something new. Always like the challenge and feel great when it is completed. But I know, if one of my grandchildren asked me to make a duplicate one, I will be able to be convinced!!!
    First, I think you need to decide whether you are a quilter or a manufacturer. Do you make them because you really need the money or because you are trying to please people? I quilt for love not money, though I probably should be selling things as I do need the cash, but just don't want the aggravation. Consider how you feel about it, plan your responses, be your own sweet self, but tell people how you feel.