Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts? >
  • Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts?

• Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts, or am I the only one? I purchased a Prairie Sampler quilt kit at a local quilt show in January and am currently working on it.
    In the mean time, I stumbled across "The Farmer's Wife" sampler book which I purchased and am planning on making 100 of the 111 blocks (there are 11 that I just don't care for).
    Then, last week I stumbled across "The General's Wives" BOM from The Fat Quarter Shop that I have fallen in love with. I have decided to do my own version of that quilt.
    So, how many traditional sampler quilts does one person actually need??!! I have discovered that I have loads of yardage (as well as fat quarters and scraps) of this "era" fabric. Seems as tho I am drawn to these fabrics, so I might as well just go with it - until the middle of summer comes along and holiday quilts start calling me! (that's my other obsession - Christmas fabric!).
    Argh - too many quilt ideas and too little time!! :lol:
    Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM

The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation. I love these quilts they are so fun to look at and make!
    Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation. I love these quilts they are so fun to look at and make!
    I agree! I'm using my "obsession" to really concentrate on point and seam matching. It's really kind of fun as each block is different so I don't get "bored" with making several copies of the same block!
    Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 AM
    Power Poster

i also LOVE sampler quilts- mostly i think because i hate making more than one of any block at a time- to sit and make the same block over and over drives me CRAZY,,, so samplers are the perfect solution for me- a different block each time i sit down to sew...OH YEA!
    plus it gives you a great opportunity to learn and improve new skills...one block at a time...
    Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 AM

You need to make what you especially like. Right now I'm liking simple geometric patterns so that's what I am making. Sampler quilts have so much variety and so many possibilities that you'll never run out of new quilt ideas.
    Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 AM

I am making a log cabin sampler right now, got all the logs done and 4 of the sampler so far, 8 more to go
    Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 AM

My second quilt was a sampler quilt, and I have made several samplers since..... have another set of blocks to put together, and then have a few other patterns for samplers that I would like to make. I love making the different blocks, instead of the same block over and over, and love scrappy quilts, so samplers are more fun to make.
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation.
    Interesting. Especially as most shops now use them as an initiation for beginners. ;-)
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 AM

count me in...

i enjoy making different blocks...keeps my attention more...altho if there is one i need to improve on i will make it several times over...

i make them out of different colors/patterns too...so when i have enuf to make a complete quilt it is definitely a scrapy-like one lol
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 AM
    Power Poster

My first quilt was a sampler and the class was awesome. I learned so much!!! Got me instantly addicted :D:D