Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else ok with "good enough" >
  • Anyone else ok with "good enough"

• Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
    lue

Perfection is not a goal of mine in ANYTHING. LOVING what I do/make/have/am works "just fine" and is "good enough" for me. I'm making a birthday quilt for my granddaughter and doing it all, including quilting it (first attempt at that). I am making it as sturdy as possible, considering that an 8 year old will be using it and I hope that she will have it even when she is an old woman, remembering her "Granna's" love. But even if she is a quilter then, she will know that it's not perfect, just as her "Granna" was not. And I know she'll STILL love it, just as she loves her "Granna."
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 AM

The Flawed Quilt
    I would really like it to be the name of my business.
    Striving for perfection in a quilt tends to take the fun and relaxation out of it.
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Like that name!!
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:16 AM

Now that I think of it, just take a look at many of the treasured antique quilts, many are not perfect. They held up for many years without quilt shop quality fabric or high priced thread and the stitches were the best they could do or the work of many women sewing together. It's wonderful we can love this art after so many years.
    Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 AM

I think that if you are a person that Good Enough is not who you are, you cannot settle for good enough and have fun/relaxation if it is not done well, notice I did not say perfect. I guess quilters are all different in what they will settle for and that makes us PERFECT.
    Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Perfection is a end to a process; I really don't think that I'll ever create a perfect quilt, but I like trying and always thinking that on my next quilt, I'll be better at whatever technique that was difficult for me. I don't have to be perfect, but I still continue to try; it's how we grow and get better at a skill. Thankfully, most of my imperfections are only noticed by myself or the "quilt police" and not the people that recieve them. Continue to enjoy the process and everyone should be happy.
    Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
    Fox

The Flawed Quilt? I love that name. I think I'll borow it for a sign on my sewing room door!
    Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM

If I'm quilting for fun or quickness I'll choose patterns that don't need matched seams like the fast jelly roll quilt (tute here on the board), or bricks or simple bargellos. But if I'm making a star block or anything else with triangles I'm very careful and slow to get the seams right. I will rip or recut and make again. However they're never perfect so I have to have a point where I will say that's the best that I can do and as someone else else has said most of the recipiants are oblivious to mistakes anyway. I've only once attempted to put a quilt into a show and now that was way too stressful for me so it didn't go and I've not done that again.
    Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM

I was lucky enough to be a "quilt angel" at a major quilt show several years ago. Imagine my surprise when looking at the quilt backs and finding LOTS of long thread tails that should have been cut off. Was I ever shocked! I thought those would have been cut off. Guess I was wrong.
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

I always thought god enough was good enough . Until I show it to someone then I point out ever little imperfection. So if it's good enough why do I do that hummmmmm