Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern... >
  • Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern...

• Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern...

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM

Yes, all the time. That's why I cut only enough for about 6 blocks at a time. Then I can usually make the blocks into something else other than a quilt.
    Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Been there, do that rather regularly. Most often I will end up using the now precut fabric in several different final projects.
    Usually it's because I decide that one of the fabrics just really didn't work right with the others in the original project.
    Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM

OK, I feel better.
    My brain hurts from doing math to try to figure out how to get enough strips out of what I have....But I feel better.

Watson
    Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Yep, been there done that. Here's another one, ever grab a bit of fabric to make a trial block of a new pattern and really like it? Then try to find enough of the same fabric to make a quilt.

Can I ask how you get it to scan to size? I'm working on making a pattern for a crib quilt that has a fairly large stripe design and when I scan it into EQ7 it gets all miniaturized and you can't really see the design. I have reduced the jpeg sized down on the original scan but it still doesn't work (used the settings suggested in the manual).
    Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 PM

I have been there too. I also have bought the fabric with one pattern in mind, then decided to do another pattern using that fabric, run out of fabric before I finished and have to try to find the fabric. I drive myself crazy.
    Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 AM

Just did that with our club's challenge project so I could complete the top by the deadline. I used smaller HST's from making HST's for original project idea.
    Old 01-06-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Not that I can remember, but when I know I have to cut the same shapes over and over I will cut a few, sew a few, back to cut ...breaks the monotony and seeing the block/design take shape as I'm working is sort of an incentive to go on. However, by the time I'm putting on that final border....I'm really anxious to get that project out of my face and on to something else....ok, so why do I have UFOs? Mystery!
    Me too! Do a few, do something different, do a few etc. Now I have a SIL who is a dedicated cutter!! She is a cutting fool and will just put her head down and keep going. Whenever I can, I'll trade jobs with her and she does the cutting, I do the sewing. We manage to get them done!! We each have to do our own quilting!!
    Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Yep. About 1/3 of the blocks are done. Had them on the design wall and decided I didn't like the way it was coming out. Now everything is in a UFO pack. One of these days I'll take another look and decide where I really want to go with it.
    Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM

My Ugh... seeing a pic of the quilt you just love, buying the fabrics, then reading the directions and finding out the directions are far from ideal. And it sits...
    Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B.
    My Ugh... seeing a pic of the quilt you just love, buying the fabrics, then reading the directions and finding out the directions are far from ideal. And it sits...
    Mine was the directions for a Snail's Trail quilt. They were so confusing -they gave me a 2 extra strength tylenol headache. Well a couple days later I went back to try again. I ended up chucking the page of bad directions and by just looking at the picture of 1 finished block I was able to figure it out and finish the quilt. Most times I find that this is the best way to figure out a pattern with squirrelly instructs.