Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone FMQ on slant needle machine? >
  • Anyone FMQ on slant needle machine?

• Anyone FMQ on slant needle machine?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Anyone FMQ on slant needle machine?

I'm currently using my old Singer 401 to piece and quilt with a walking foot. I have two Singer 15-91s that are supposed to be really great for FMQ, but the cabinets are in poor shape and need significant overhauls. (One is in pieces.)

I's currently quilting a design that would be lots easier using FMQ, as turning and stuffing the quilt through the harp repeatedly is already getting tedious and I just started. (Besides, I'm not sure the spray adhesive is going to survive this repeated stuffing.)

So I thought I would give FMQ a shot on my 401. Has anyone done it? What foot did you purchase and where did you buy it? Will it work with rulers?

bkay
    Old 01-06-2018, 08:08 AM

Here is an old thread on this topic, interesting reading, maybe something in there that might help? Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody?
    Old 01-06-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks, that was helpful. Maybe someone has actually used a 401 to FMQ. I'm hoping.

bkay
    Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM

I found a youtube video. Somehow, I always forget to check there.

bkay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KblzZxOjbdU
    Old 01-06-2018, 01:18 PM

I have on my 301 but never on my 401. I would think it would be easier on the 401 as it is a heavier machine. I have a walking foot for it too so have been able to do all sorts of quilting on it. Give it a try! I bought my foot ages ago and do not know where it was. I have never used my rulers. I don't know if the slant has the fat ruler foot. I guess I would like to know too.

Last edited by Veinurse; 01-06-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: not finished
    Old 01-06-2018, 02:44 PM

I use my 301 for FMQ all the time. I like the extra visibility of the slant needle. I bought my foot online from aprils1930sshoppe, which is now the Featherweight shop. I just looked and she still advertises 301 accessories, but I didn't see my foot with the large plastic part. There is another site with parts for vintage Singers, but right now the name escapes me. You can ask in the vintage machine forum. I want to try a foot with a open metal circle just to see if I'd like it better.
    At this time, the slant needles do not do ruler work. Westalee told me that the foot would be available in November and they'd contact me. I haven't heard from them and couldn't find it on their site.
    Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM
    Power Poster

I did it for a while on my 301. then it started skipping stitches and I took it in for repair. Between taking it in and getting it back a Brother PQ1500 sort of fell into my lap and I have been using that for FMQ. I like the needle down. But, when it worked, the 301 was great. I found a generic slant metal open toe foot on eBay and that worked great.