Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler? >
  • Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

• Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by judylg
    I have a class I am taking this week, the add a 1/4 inch ruler is listed on the supply list (if you have one), which I do not. I have a 12 inch ruler with an added 1/4 inch on it, but am thinking this is not the right one. I just wonder if anyone has one and how you use it? Thanks.
    Maybe she wanted you to get a ruler that is used for paper piecing? That is a 1/4 inch ruler
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Yes, I have an add 1/4 ruler(in fact several in different lengths) I use them for paper piecing and LOVE them.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 AM

This ruler is used to mark the 1/4" border on each piece of fabric when doing paper-piecing. I never realized what it was until I needed it for a class - now I'm looking for 12" size! They make paper-piecing Soooooo much easier. I'd recommend purchasing one if it's on your list. You won't be sorry. I use mine all the time.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.

You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
    I have several "add a 1/4" as well as the "add 1/8". I think they are indispensible for paper piecing! It helps keeps the seam allowance straight with the little ridge it has and THAT helps your accuracy. If the teacher recommends it - get it. part of what you pay for in a class is the teachers knowledge of not only sewing, but good use of tools. If you don't like her way, you can always go back to yours, but your knowledge and experience will be better.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 AM

Joanns carrys them. I have one and use it quite a lot.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pattycakes
    If you can't find a add a quarter inch ruler, go to the class and for that class barrow a ruler, ask the teacher where to get the ruler and then purchase it by the next class.
    I hope you don't mean borrow from someone in the class. Although I don't mind sharing something that's only used once or twice, sharing an often used tool during a class can be annoying and isn't fair to the owner.

I would suggest either purchasing the tool or finding a substitute or just doing without.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM

Are you talking about an "add a quarter" ruler that you use when paper piecing? They are very handy.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 AM

I have both the 6" and the 12" and I always use them for paper piecing and when I am using old style templates that don't have the 1/4" either built in or marked. It's a great help.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 AM

I use mine for paper piecing and it sure makes the job easier. If your class isn't a paper piecing class it would be interesting to see what your teacher is going to use it for. Keep us posted. I have the 6" & 12".
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 AM

I have several (6 inch and 12 inch) (also one that is an add 1/8 inch) that I used for paper piecing. They were a requirement for the paper piecing class I took. I use every time I am making a quilt paper piecing or not. I think they are great rulers to have.