Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone have their scissors sharpened? >
  • Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

• Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
    I have some wonderful Gingher scissors that are beginning to dull. Has anyone had theirs professionally sharpened? I've heard that, like a knife, they will not hold an "edge" well after sharpening. Does anybody know? There is a man who comes to our local Hancock's once a month.
    As you can see, I'm very protective about my toys.
    If you want to use them a little longer before having them sharpened just cut tinfoil with them I have done it several times it also works in your garden scissors
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 AM

I have a pair of poultry scissors that I use so much.A friend gave them to me when she worked at the chicken plant in Wv.They sure do need sharpened.I saw where JoAnns sometimes has someone there that does them.Might have to check them out .
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM

I had seen some youtube videos using sandpaper and aluminum foil to sharpen them. Tried these out and didn't have much luck. While in Hobby Lobby I found a Fiskars scissor sharpener for about $5.00 minus my 40% off coupon. It really works great. My scissors are like new! It's a neat little gadget. Here's a picture:http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...rpener-568170/
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Send back to Ghinger. They have a fast turn around. Scissors are different in that these have a knife edge, unlike other scissors. If a sharpener isn't used to sharpening them, you will not be happy with the results.
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM

I have a combo knife and scissors sharpener that came from Lowe's for $8.99 its sharpening stones are like the ones pictured from Hobby Lobby but it is much larger and heavy duty with a handle, Works Great!
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by paristx
    It really works great. My scissors are like new! It's a neat little gadget. Here's a picture:http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...rpener-568170/
    I use that one, too. It makes a big difference.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Ok silly question...I have only 1 expensive pair of scissors, lots of not so expensive pairs, am I going to be shamed if I ask a professional to sharpen the less expensive scissors?
    dee - the frugal sewer
    I wouldn't be ashamed. After all, whether they are expensive or not, they still need to be sharp. The less expensive just may not hold an edge like the good one.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Would you mind sharing the address, etc. for sending scissors to Gingher or a phone number?

Thanks much!!!
    Dawn
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Google Gingher and send the scissors to them, They've been sharpening their own for years for the public.

Jan in VA
    Thanks for the heads up! I would have never thought to send them to the company! Guess that's why I'm here (a lot).
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Ok silly question...I have only 1 expensive pair of scissors, lots of not so expensive pairs, am I going to be shamed if I ask a professional to sharpen the less expensive scissors?
    dee - the frugal sewer
    NO, don't be ashamed. Some scissors just "fit" well in our hands. Different hands need different scissors.

The thing to remember when sharpening scissors is the fact that dull scissors are no good for anything. Also, try to get them to somone who you can be a regular customer. You will be better take care of that way. One of my scissors had ridges in them, kind of like serrated edge, but smaller for scissors and the LQS told me that if they sharpened them, I would lose that type edge. Well, they had a nick in them and were not any good to me as they were, so I told him to go ahead. Boy was I pleased.