Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone own an 18in.  Tin Lizzie Sit Down Quilter? >
  • Anyone own an 18in. Tin Lizzie Sit Down Quilter?

• Anyone own an 18in. Tin Lizzie Sit Down Quilter?

Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 AM

I forgot to add that I got these Halo type tool that I use to move the fabric. They keep my fingers away from the needle.
    Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal
    I have one and like the machine. However, there is a steep learning curve for me. It does not have any feet so you have to keep your fingers out of the way of the needle. I don't know if other machines in this category have feet or not.
    That sounds very strange!

I have a Viking MegaQuilter 18x8 (rebranded Tin Lizzie), and it came with a hopping foot. I tried MANY machines before I bought mine, both on a frame and sit-down machines, and I have NEVER seen one without a foot. I would contact my dealer if I were you - it sound like somebody lost the foot before they sold it to you.

************************************************** *************************************
    In response to the original post... as I mentioned above, my LA is a Viking 18x8 (rebranded Tin Lizzie). My advice to you is this: test drive as many machines as you possibly can, preferably at one of the larger quilt shows. Try every machine you see, at least once, twice is better, and really as many times as you possibly can.

Try the sit-downs, try the ones on a frame.

Then take a step back and for a moment, ignore the prices. Which one REALLY felt "just right" to you? Regardless of how "inexpensive" a sit-down machine is compared to a framed machine, if you can't master the sit-down, that will be a lot of money wasted, and you may not be able to recoup it all.

For me, I tried FMQ on my domestic machine. I did okay ( and I really mean JUST okay) as long as the quilt was relatively small. I never did conquer feathers on the DSM. If you also have problems FMQ on your DSM, a sit-down machine may NOT be the answer.

Again, it bears repeating - test drive as many machines as possible, pick the one you like best, and if it's not within your budget, start shopping for used versions of the one you liked the best.
    Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 AM

Beware of anything that is made by Tin Lizzie. I speak from 2 years of bitter experience. I did not realize that a company could exist for so many years and treat their customers like TL does. I love my Nolting. Their techs are always there when I need them.
    Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 PM

I've had my Tin Lizzie for 4 years and have had excellent experience with tech support. I can't say enough good about the company. They've been wonderful every time I have to talk to them. I'm sorry your experience wasn't a good one.