Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone tried this method of quilting on domestic machine? >
  • Anyone tried this method of quilting on domestic machine?

• Anyone tried this method of quilting on domestic machine?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Anyone tried this method of quilting on domestic machine?

This link has a brief tutorial on her method of finishing up a quilt on a domestic machine. Basically, piece together the quilt top in columns, rather than in rows & quilt each column as it is added. I have a quilt in mind to try this - I was going to piece together the back, so the fact that each addition will have a seam won't matter this time. I am looking for pros and cons of this method from anyone who has tried this!

http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/0...ing-as-you-go/
    Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM
    Power Poster

It's the same method as any quilt as you go. I sometimes divide my quilt in fourths and quilt each section and then sew together, sometimes in rows or columns. It works great. The only thing is to take extra care in sewing the sections together to make sure they match up perfectly.
    Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 PM
    Power Poster

used this method several times before I got my long arm. As BellaBoo states, you don't need to go in strips, you can do sections, like assemble 3 blocks across & 2 down & then quilt that section, adding sections as you go. It depends on the quilt, size of blocks etc.
    Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, it sounds like a quilt as you go. I never really cared for it. I just did it the old fashion way of starting from the center and working out. I had good support to the left and behind the sewing machine so Queen size was never a problem.
    Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    It's the same method as any quilt as you go. I sometimes divide my quilt in fourths and quilt each section and then sew together, sometimes in rows or columns. It works great. The only thing is to take extra care in sewing the sections together to make sure they match up perfectly.
    This method looked different because you added the top and the backing to what you had already quilting, and THEN inserted a new column of batting, butted up to the seam. My impression of QAYG was to join sections together that had been quilted individually (whether block by block or row by row or section by section).
    Old 01-06-2014, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

Marti Michell has a wonderful book called Machine Quilting in Sections that explains several different methods of quilting in sections and also explains which methods are useful on different types of quilts. I used her methods before I bought a longarm.
    Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM

That is a great tutorial! Thanks for posting it. I love that you don't have to add sashings.