Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone use one of those pressing/cutting combo things? >
  • Anyone use one of those pressing/cutting combo things?

• Anyone use one of those pressing/cutting combo things?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 AM

I have the 12X18 and use it all the time. I found a small folding table at Walmart. It sets beside my sewing machine. It saves a lot of time getting up and down to go press or trim a piece. I always take it to classes and retreats. I just have to swivel my chair to change from sewing to cutting/pressing. When you do this you lose the excersise movements of walking arcoss the room. I look at it this way I get a lot more done! I am waiting for the day that I forget to turn it over!
    Cut on the pressing side or press on the cutting side.
    Get swiveling and get more done!
    Connie
    Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM

If you have a wooden TV tray, you can put your padding down and then put some of the Teflon coated? silver stuff on top and staple it down or sew elastic on it, that way you can have it close to your table.
    Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 AM

I have never used anything between the folded sheet and the Costco plastic table and have had no problems at all...no burns, stains, or anything. I remember when I was a kid my grandmother used to put a bath towel on her table to press things...same principle!
    Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 AM

I had one about 8 years ago, but the cotton cover got too brittle and shredded. At quilt market one year, I complained to the sales rep and she gave me a new one. At a quilt class, sure enough... a student forgot to turn it over and I got a slice in it. :roll: Oh well.

Besides, having to get up and walk across the room to the ironing board and cutting table helps avoid Quilters Butt.
    Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 AM
    Izy

Originally Posted by beetle
    Originally Posted by PamH
    I have the 12 x 18 size. I love it and use it all the time. I have it setting on a wooden TV tray right now with the ironing side up. Great for the crumb block quilt i'm working on.
    Yes exactly. Crumb blocks are what I wanted to work on but the way my area is set up now, it's just not practical to sew a couple peices together, get up, walk over to the table top ironing board on the other table, press then head back to the sewing cabinet, add another peice, lather rinse repeat.

I thought if I just had one of those medium sized pressing mats to keep at the sewing cabinet, it might help.
    Beetle, I use a small wooden table (garden) with an old sheet folded over several times to fit the top, I iron on one half and have a small cutting mat and rotary cutter next to it. I find as it is lower that my sewing table its easier to iron and cut, I just swivel round on my chair:D Here's a picture...if I can find it lol!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-36932.jpe  
    Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM

I have one of those and really like it. I have brought it to class, but I really like to set it up near my machine to do my pressing and trimming of blocks. I do my preliminary cutting on my bigger cutting mat.
    Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
    I had one about 8 years ago, but the cotton cover got too brittle and shredded. At quilt market one year, I complained to the sales rep and she gave me a new one. At a quilt class, sure enough... a student forgot to turn it over and I got a slice in it. :roll: Oh well.

Besides, having to get up and walk across the room to the ironing board and cutting table helps avoid Quilters Butt.
    Not only do I "worry" about quilter's butt, but also I have a problem with circulation and swollen feet. I set up my ironing board in the utility room at the other end of the house. The walking and standing for pressing large pieces is a good thing. But for the little in-between pressings I use my 12 x 18 mat. I set it up on the top of a little chest of drawers and set my iron on a pad. I also use the little Clover pressing tool there.
    Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 AM

I hadn't read through the whole thread. Disregard.