Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

• Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM

I love hand applique, especially using the freezer paper method and needle turn. If you look at my avatar, the centers are all hand applique, designs based on Mexican tiles. ts portable and fun!
    Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM

First let me say there are some very talented quilters showing their work and sharing their secrets on this thread. Thank you all. I love doing applique work and wish I had an embroidery machine. I have used both heat bond (for DQ and wall hangings) and the freezer paper method (quilts that will be used and washed). I usually use the button hole stitch in matching thread.
    I have had a lot of practice and fun doing the applique on DQs. Here are a couple of my favorites so far.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]364350[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]364351[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]364352[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails july-11-dq.jpg   feb-11-doll-quilt.jpg   jan-11-doll-quilt.jpg  
    Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 AM

Here are some I have done. Mostly table toppers and a close up of one of the Mexican tiles in my quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails amandas-bridal-gift.jpg   many-flowers-tabletopper.jpg   mugrug.jpg   tuscan-runner-top.jpg   closeup-tile1.jpg  

Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM

JNCT14 - lovely work
    Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.
    ;->)

Kathy--I have been collecting fusible applique quilt kits (mostly Edyta Sitar's beautiful patterns and the coordinating Silhouettes over the years but I am finally in a position to start one of them. Edyta recently released a new pattern with coordinating applique pieces called Snippets which offer turned edge opportunities.

In your opinion do the machine-stitched raw edge or fusible applique pieces hold up to wear (as opposed, to say a wall hanging) and washing? If it isn't too much of an imposition, can you advise on which stitches you use (e.g., satin vs buttonhole vs zigzag, etc) and what you think of them? I have read a lot of applique books written by master sewers, but most of them were penned before the advent of fusible applique kits, and, IMHO, their authors kinda gloss over the wear & tear considerations.

I am torn between trying to avoid another major expense by buying Snippets, now that they are an option) or making turned edge pieces.

Would love your opinion and advice.

BTW, I don't don't do hand work, either--I can't, but I am concerned about how well machine raw edge and/or fusible applique hold up.

Many thanks, Fran
    Old 06-09-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't do hand applique, but have been doing raw edge machine applique for years. if it's an item to be washed like clothing, I use the satin stitch. If it's not to be laundered on a regular basis, I use the blanket stitch. I have never had an issue either way.
    Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Hi, I remember seeing on one of the post, last month, a video of Sandra Leichner embellishing an applique pear with colored pencils.
    Anyone know where I can find this video?
    Old 06-13-2015, 03:51 AM

I'm happy to see someone on this thread again. There was a lot of good stuff posted here. I hand applique so I can't help you much. Sorry.
    Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 AM

I want to applique. I just need to settle down and decide to do it.
    Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM

i have been trying to learn to applique. I am so glad i stumbled on this thread. I am glad some of you do it by machine. My hands don't like to "hand sew" anymore. thank you all of the teaching I learned here today.
    I will remember to come back and see just what all you ladies are doing tomorrow..again thank you