Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

• Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 AM

I also love the kind of applique that judykay does there are many ways to applique and I do use different ones for different projects my only problem just not enough hours in a day
    Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 AM
    Suz

I've had a lot of thinking time as I am unable to stitch owing to right-hand surgery. I am getting better though.

I, too, love applique and my most favorite method is back basting applique. I find it to be the most accurate in placement and also employs needle-turn stitching. There are several demos on Utube. If you have not tried this method, I encourage you all to check it out.

Also, glad to see this thread "up" again.
    Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM

I love to appliqué. I find it really relaxing. I learned when doing the Jane Stickle quilt. I have since completed several appliquéd quilts. I’m now trying reverse appliqué. I’m sorry I haven’t learned to add a photo.
    Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Default Hand done

My one and only hand Applique quilt sampler. I sewed interfacing on other side leaving a turning inside out hole so easy and keeps its shape when sewing down. otherwise all my others are done by machine.
    The pears are raw edged stitched very close to edge with single stitch. The pears measure 17 inches each.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-24-2019 at 01:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.
    I agree wholeheartedly!!!
    Old 04-23-2019, 06:00 PM

I do applique, but not in the absolutely traditional sense. I do machine turned edge and reverse applique, but of pieced pieces. Like dresden plates or shapes that have been EPP into a unit then appliqued to a back. Like these

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612002[/ATTACH]
    circles are pieced and reverse applique

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612005[/ATTACH]
    The "patchwork of the crosses" partial center is EPP into a unit then machine appliqued to the pieced "background" block

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612006[/ATTACH]
    This one was out of the box for me and raw edge machine appliqued, but it is a wall hanging so won't be laundered (it had iron on sticky backing)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612007[/ATTACH]
    A combo of reverse applique and regular w/ a pieced dresden, all machine and turned edge

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612008[/ATTACH]
    This and my Abby Road block are as close as I get to "traditional" applique and even those are turned edge machine straight stitch applique.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612009[/ATTACH]

I don't know how those extra pics got on this post, I tried to edit and delete them but they don't show up in the edit window.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc_0108.jpg   dsc_0110.jpg   dsc_0124.jpg   dsc_0440.jpg   dsc_0136.jpg  

dsc_0445.jpg   img_0520.jpg   aapli.jpg  

Last edited by Kassaundra; 04-23-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 AM

I didn't know there was an applique club here. I'd like to join in if you are still accepting those of us that love to applique.

I've done lots of different kinds of applique but the one I love the most is the needle turn type. It's actually wooden toothpick turn that I do but I like it because I can get the most perfect edges and make pictures with fabric that can be washed and used as you want to use a quilt.

But, I've been working on the Little Brown Bird quilt by Margaret Docherty that is like applique on steroids. I even have a lot of my blocks on an album I've put together. But like so many quilts, I got tired of working on it a couple of years ago and just didn't do much to get it finished. I'm working on it again. I'm a little over half done with it. Now, keep in mind that these 8" blocks might have 80 little pieces in each one and there's a lot of embellishment as well, embroidery, fabric paint, inktense pencils and pigma pens.

This block is #21 in the quilt. There are 40 total blocks plus appliqued corners and borders. I have all the corners done and about half done on the borders.

This is the before and after embellishing pictures. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails lbb-1.jpg   lbb-2.jpg  
    Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM

I love it. It's nice to someone else doing hand applique. Great embroidery work. I have this pattern on a cd. So you print out the blocks. Don't know if I can see to do the detailed work on an 8" block. If I get to this project I will probably do a 12" block.
    Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks, Sewingitalltogether. I have the cd as well and it has a couple of extra blocks that I like. Making the blocks larger will require some changing or the quilt will be huge. I think that might be a good challenge to do.
    Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 AM

Beautiful work. Amazing what the extra embroidery work does for the block.