Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

• Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
    it is definately a practiced thing.. the more you do the better it gets. i posted this on the picture page but this is my applique project. wip. I designed this and have lots more to do to it before Im happy with it. it is all appliqued. this is my first project and Im just winging it.
    Looking good! is that raw edge applique? Can somebody explain what exactly is raw edge applique? Thanks.
    Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Looking good! is that raw edge applique? Can somebody explain what exactly is raw edge applique? Thanks.[/quote]

I believe it is when you just sew around the edges with out turning them under. hence the raw edge. I like the satin stitch for that.
    Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
    Looking good! is that raw edge applique? Can somebody explain what exactly is raw edge applique? Thanks.
    I believe it is when you just sew around the edges with out turning them under. hence the raw edge. I like the satin stitch for that.[/quote]

ahh. In that case that is what that would have been? it's secured by heat and bond but then did the zigzag (close) around it twice.
    Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

I love hand applique. I use the needle turn. Several of us quilters who do any handiwork meet at our LQS the last Tues of every month which is also a great social evening. A hand project you can take along any where you go is nice and I find it's great for kicking back and relaxing.
    Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I love hand applique. I use the needle turn. Several of us quilters who do any handiwork meet at our LQS the last Tues of every month which is also a great social evening. A hand project you can take along any where you go is nice and I find it's great for kicking back and relaxing.
    Hopefully by the time I retire (a number of years away) the local quilt shop will still be having applique lessons and meetings. Now they offer that in the daytime when I am at work.
    Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 AM

I still haven't mastered that, but I love machine applique, & My eyes are always drawn to applique patterns. I don't mind handwork , so maybe one of these days I'll set my mind to it, & I'll try the needle turn way.
    Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM

I believe the true raw edge is when you don't use a satin stitch, but do a straight stitch around the edge, maybe a1/16 inch in.
    Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM

oh my! someone sent me another pattern/ooppss! patterns! so I will be doing a lot of appliques!

I have a cat pattern, which I can make a pincushion, small pillow, and I was even thinking of a catnip pillow!

so I am going to get some of the bonding, and look I will be asking for hwelp when I do get started!

Everyone Merry Christmas!
    Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    oh my! someone sent me another pattern/ooppss! patterns! so I will be doing a lot of appliques!

I have a cat pattern, which I can make a pincushion, small pillow, and I was even thinking of a catnip pillow!

so I am going to get some of the bonding, and look I will be asking for hwelp when I do get started!

Everyone Merry Christmas!
    We'll be here when you need us. They are a great bunch of people with TONS of information at their fingertips. :) I couldn't have done it without their help.

Happy HOlidays everybody!
    Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Everyones projects are all turning out so pretty. I decided to make christmas hot pads for several family members for xmas gifts so my applique project is on hold until after the holidays.
    Happy Holidays Everyone.
    I tried something new today- machine applique. This time I did it on the machine and used a small zigzag. Not the best but not the worst. I read someplace (don't know where...perhaps on this board) to go around twice because it helps to fill in the gaps. That is what I did.
    Real nice job!!