• Main
  • Applique Help needed >
  • Applique Help needed

• Applique Help needed

Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 PM

I coordinate the thread as best I can.
    Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
    Banned

Ladies I have a question about steam a seam . Does it have less adhesive than heat n bond lite ? I usually use heat n bond lite and yes it does gunk up my needle ! Is steam a seam better ? I have never tried it .

Happy quilting

Annie
    Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 PM

I used steam a seam on the appliques I did on my sampler quilt and it worked great. My first block was raw, then as I got better I did a satin stitch. No problems at all with it gumming up the needle. I have not heard of the other brands, this is what my quilt shop carries.
    Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Wonder Under or spray quilt adhesive is the best to use. I get no gumming of needles when machine or hand quilting. I also pin, in some places because I do a lot of needle turn applique. It gets easier and easier as you work with applique.

I'm intriqued by your applique to a strip pieced top. Do share a picture, will you?

Happy Quilting,
    Sharon
    Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM

Hi there, well I am a newbie, but joined our local stitching group here in Spain (check us out) www.perianastitchers.net. Anyway i was advised to use steam-a-seam2, works very well, does not gunk up the needle and bonds very well. The way you are describing it though it sounds as if you are stitching round your applique when you have your batting and backing on, I was taught to stitch round the applique after you steam a seam it, then when all your blocks are finished put the batting under and then the backing. Hope this helps. Elle
    Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi, I'm also new to the board & I just completed my 1st applique project. I used Heat & Bond LITE. Make sure you use the LITE if you plan on sewing or else it will gum up the needle. I followed the package directions. I used the machine applique stitch with coordinating thread and I was very happy with the results. I can't wait to get started on my next project.
    Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
    lin

Fancyfoot~I once made the mistake of picking up my roll of regular Heat'nBond instead of the LITE and I can tell you, you'll only make that mistake ONCE!! It was a nightmare. I had to hand stitch around a whole quilt's worth of applique. I finally put the quilt top under my machine without thread and using a large needle, and poked holes all around the edges of the applique so that I could do a blanket stitch. I finally got it done, but never again will I make that mistake. I agree that the LITE works just fine.

I've also used Steam-a-Seam2 before and liked it as well.
    Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

There is one more way if you don't like using these products. Use a glue stick the kind school kids use. It wil hold your pieces while you machine stitch. :D
    Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Yep I made that mistake once with the regular heat-n-bond.
    I use the Wonder Under, never have any problems with it. The few times Ive done needle turn, I used the glue sticks, works great.
    Most projects I use matching thread. but on some of the hand blanket stitch I have used all black thread, Usually embroidery thread, all depends on the look you are going for.
    Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM

I am new to this site and to applique - What is wonder under, how does it work and where can you get it. :?: :?: I took an applique class and we used freezer paper which worked well but I am always willing to try something else. Thank you in advance for any help.