Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique Paper By Hugs' N Kisses >
  • Applique Paper By Hugs' N Kisses

• Applique Paper By Hugs' N Kisses

Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 AM

Default Applique Paper By Hugs' N Kisses

I tried this new product (to me anyway). First I saw it at fatquartershop.com. They offered precut hexies of this product, I wanted some different shapes, so I found the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets at superiorthreads.com. fatquartershop.com also has a video by Lynette Anderson about the product. I am always skeptical so I did a test and I really like it. It is exactly what she said it would be. You use it for hand applique, english paper piecing, or as a very light stablizer insert. It has adhesive (very light) on one side only, and it will "mostly" wash out leaving you with a very soft appliqued object after you wash or soak your project. I really don't like to be able to feel anything left behind when I use products like these and this one really does work! Here is what I did: Cut my shape in fabric (a hexie), then cut my shape in the Applique Paper. I ironed the paper shape to the wrong side of the fabric with a dry iron. I wondered if it would be stiff enough to use like paper piecing, and it worked just fine. I lightly glued the edges of the paper, finger pressed the fabric to the paper, then Roxanne Glue Bastited it (just a drop on each corner) to the backing fabric. Then I blanket stitched it. When I did my next load of laundry, I added it in with everything else. Then I put it in the dryer with everything else. It came out wonderful! So soft and like nothing was left in it at all. I needed to be sure though, so I cut open the back (remember, the adhesive was only on one side and that was ironed to the back of the hexie) All that was left was a very thin bit of something like "soft and stable" (a cottonie layer, very very thin) I think it actually made the end product feel better than it would have if I had not added anything. It is mainly for English Paper Piecing type of applications since it has adhesive only on 1 side.
    Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Nice to know. Thanks!
    Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 AM
    Power Poster

Interesting, thanks for the post !
    Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 AM

It sounds like it could be used for backing appliques instead of fusible interfacing (sewn right sides together and turned inside out). The glue would disappear. Thanks for sharing that.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 AM

I need to add a little more here.....Since it does almost completely disappear, the word "stabilizer" might not be the right word for me to be using. It makes it strong enough to work with, and holds its shape well before it is washed, but it totally loses its stabilizing benefits after it is is washed away.