Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • APQS George >
  • APQS George

• APQS George

Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 AM

Default APQS George

In another recent thread, there's discussion about sit-down long-arm machines. For fun I looked around, and have found a 6-7 year old "used only 2-3 times" George machine for $3000 OBO.

(I'd be even more tempted, if my 6 year old Brother VQ3000 hadn't cost what it did. I bought it mostly for the 11" throat so I could quilt more easily... But the price on that George is enticing, as is its 20" throat.)

The consensus on the other thread was that the George is a good machine; any contrary views?

Might its having been used, and likely oiled, so little over more than 5 years be a problem?

And does anyone know whether there have been any major changes/updates in the last 6-7 years that this machine would be lacking?

There is apparently an APQS dealer less than an hour from me, so that would be a plus.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:17 PM
    mkc

In 2019 APQS changed all the machines.

A 2019 and newer George is now 22" with a square throat at the side rather than a 20" with a rounded throat.

The entire underside from the needle bar to the throat of the 2019 and newer machine has a strip of LEDs and it can operate in black light mode.

Needle speed is now 3500 stitched per minute max (was 2400 spm, I believe)

Given the price, that's a good deal on a George (and if it's the one in Ohio or Kentucky it's been on the market for a little while so there might be some wiggle room). You might ask the dealer what a mini spa treatment (where they go through the machine) might cost.
    Old 09-14-2020, 12:20 PM

I have a 2013 Lucy...which is not a George....but APQS machines are built to last...so if it has been cared for and not abused...it should be fine....The company generally is very good with support for their machines....even if you are not the first owner....
    Old 09-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies; I think that the 2019 LED lighting and even bigger throat sound like significant improvements. My eyes aren't getting any younger, unfortunately! I'm concerned that the one for sale (it's not the Ohio/Kentucky one) may have been neglected, though very little used. The seller did say "or best offer..." so I might send a low-ball offer and see what happens. It was apparently just listed about a week ago.

The idea of checking on a "Spa day" for the machine is a good one. I'll keep that in mind. Good to hear that APQS provides good support; it's a bummer that the "lifetime warranty" only applies to the original purchaser though.
    Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 PM
    mkc

APQS should be having their fall demo sale in the next month or so. Last time they did, a newer George was around $6500 or so and included the lifetime warranty (a new George is only $7200). Of course with either of these you pay shipping and sales tax.