Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • AQS Des Moines >
  • AQS Des Moines

• AQS Des Moines

Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 AM

I am hoping to get there in person so will be on the lookout for your gorgeous quilt!
    Old 08-03-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Absolutely gorgeous shadow trapunto quilt. Did you use Leah Day design's or Geta's instructions for it? I bought Geta's book but have yet to take the plunge. She has gorgeous designs. Congratulations being accepted into a major show. Well deserved and it will be so exciting to see your quilt hanging in the show. Hope you can attend it as well.

This is Leah Day's design. Her Winter Wonderland pattern has FABULOUS instructions for shadow trapunto, but I had figured out how to do it before I got the pattern. But, I did use all her snowflake designs, and the pattern has marvelous instructions for quilt-as-you-go binding. I couldn't make the wavy bias tape happen though- I tried...

I also love Geta's work, but I think I prefer Leah's method (and what I did before I saw it was her method) of sewing the batting onto the cotton and then cutting. IIRC, Geta sews to the organza, which is a lot more delicate.

I'll also say- since I didn't realize this quilt would be so amazing when I finished, the materials were cheap. I just used Walmart organza, and craft felt. Not the nice organza/wool felt called for by the pattern. Maybe it would look better with those things, but I still think mine looks really good. The center snowflake is actually fleece, as I ran out of felt. I think the fleece has a fluffier better overall look, but it was a huge pain to cut out because of the linty nature of it.