Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned >
  • ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

• ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Good advice Lostin51. I am learning a lot. Since I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the one and only high speed I can get here in the country (and I love it here)..I am going to "Throw the bank" at what I really, really want.
    I love this term. Thank you.
    Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 AM

That's how I bid all the time. I wait till the last few minutes.
    It's just like an auction you attend in person. If your not fast enough you don't win the item.
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    I use a free snipe program...I set it with my highest bid that I want to go to, and it bids for me in the last 3 seconds of the auction.

I use "Just Snipe"....it's free for 5 bids per week...

You stand a better chance with it because other bidders don't know what you're bidding, and they may not bid as high themselves because of it. Hope that makes sense!
    thanks for this info, I have never heard of Snipe
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:56 AM

You could also post a 'looking for' thread here in the classifieds section. Some others may have what issues you're looking for.
    Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM

It's all about the timing all the way around. I've been fortunate that when the bug hits I'll find something that the auction is no more than an hour from ending, mostly its down to the last minutes. That's when I'll bid.

I "experimented" once with bidding on something that was days out and it felt like the price would raise faster because there was activity on the item that far ahead, which in turn would make me hit my max before it was even close to closing.
    Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM

I find that if I wait until the end to try to outbid people, then I end up bidding more than I want because I get competitive. I always put the highest I can stand to pay as my high bid and ebay does the rest. It will keep rebidding for me and like others, once it goes beyond my high bid, I just remind myself it wasn't worth any more to me and wait for the next time.

If your high bid is high enough, then you will be the one you will beat everyone at the last minute.
    Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do
    I know someone who bids a lot on Ebay. He sets his watch alarm to the last minutes of the auction so that he can sneak in and get his bid in at the last minute. He is very successful at getting what he wants.
    So sorry for you, though!
    You don't need to do that. There is something called "Auction Sniper". "Sniping" is the term for bidding at the last second in order to win. You tell Auction Sniper which item you want, and the maximum bid you want to make, and the seconds till the end to place the bid. I use Auction Sniper all the time for things I really want. Good luck. And if you do sign on to Auction Sniper, use me: gaigai as a referral.

I know you're disappointed, but it's all part of the bidding process. If you use Auction Sniper, you do have a higher chance of getting what you want.
    Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 AM
    Google Goddess

Sorry you didn't win, yes lots of them wait to the last few seconds to place the bid.

Craftybear

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
    disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.
    Old 04-18-2010, 12:34 PM

I am learning a lot on here today. I agree..the bidding goes up faster when you bid right away. I will "watch" my items and try bidding at the last minute also. I need to hurry and get HUghes net out here. LOL
    Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 PM

If I sign up for sniper Gaigai I will use you as a referral. Thanks