Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!! >
  • Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!!

• Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh....!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Good rule.........saves a lot of tears! When mine were growing up no food or drink was allowed out of the kitchen.
    Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 AM

If this is a quilt that you are keeping for yourself, think of he memories that will be sewn into it! Clean up your pieces and make your quilt with them. Then, in years to come, when you see the quilt you will remember the happening and the upset will be a memory to add to your memory chest. Your daughter may even want tp share this memory and have the quilt for herself someday. Lemons make sweet lemonade!!!
    Old 01-01-2011, 06:44 AM

When I got my 1st computer, a relative told me she ruined one by spilling coffee all over it.So what's good for the puter also works for my sewing machine.No food allowed in sewing room or on puter table.Grkids keep soda by theirs, but never mine.It was no big deal, just told them it's a no no in Grma's house.

Accidents happen to all of us.Your DD will be careful & so will you, it's a good lesson. No one hurt,no machine died.A quilt, no matter how much we love it...is something that can be torn,ruined,replaced.Yours & DDs feelings are way more important.
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:00 AM
    Banned

Glad to hear you tried the Borax and saved the quilt! Borax is the most amazing product and very gentle too. I have a quilt wash recipe that uses Borax as one of the main ingredients and my quilts come out looking fantastic and last for years. If anyone is interested in the recipe PM me.
    This quilt is 17 years old, and spent 15 years being used on my bed full time. (and slept in)I have now retired it to my spare room so it can last another long time. I wash them about 3 times a year on average

My MIL made this quilt for us 17 years ago. I washed it just this morning and have it air drying over the sofa
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]151185[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-151180.jpe  
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 AM

That's great! & I'm sure your DD is also feeling better.That will be a quilt with a story....

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
    Good news! I salvaged the pieces from the trash and soaked them in cold water with borax. They came clean! The pieces were dried, starched, pressed and ready to go. I am doing the happy dance!!
    THANK YOU ALL!!

Cindy
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I was thinking, well, as long as it wasn't sweet tea just let them dry and sew them together then wash it when it's done. Then I saw that you're from Tennessee----of course, it was sweet tea! That's why I only use plastic bottles with caps on them. And to be environmentally friendly I wash and use the same bottle over and over.
    I've been told not to use a plastic bottle over and over again because the plastic does leak into the water. The leakage is a carcinogen. Please be careful!!
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
    Banned

I would be more afraid of the first time you drink from the bottle...imagine how much longer it has to soak in carcinogens. I think the whole bottled water idea had us majorly duped....lies upon lies upon lies...and then of course they come up with "Don't refill the bottles because...." Great marketing....
    A cousin of ours is the guy who does all the water testing for different bottled water sources...he wouldn't touch bottled water if someone paid him to drink it...now that tells you something.
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM

I know the feeling.My grandson dumped a whole glass of diet pepsi on my new 250.00 cell phone christmas day. You have to take a deep breath and just remember they didnt mean to do it.
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Why not just throw them in the washer and see what happens
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM

When plastic bottles are used, they get banged up. If you reuse that plastic bottle, then you may also clean it. Both of those processes can cause tiny cracks in the plastic. Chemicals, such as BPA and DEHP, can then leach out of those cracks. That's why reuse is worse than drinking the original water.

With that said, I've seen some new, unused bottled water bottles that were quite banged up.