Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Artistic 18 help please! >
  • Artistic 18 help please!

• Artistic 18 help please!

Old 07-12-2024, 10:29 AM

Default Artistic 18 help please!

Does anyone own or have used an Artistic 18 quilting machine?
    I bought one and and could use any advice you have
    I Am having trouble with the controller, I can’t seem to understand it!
    Now have loops underneath
    Looked on internet but can’t find any instructions for this controller
    Old 07-12-2024, 10:39 AM

I don't know anything about your machine, but I do know that my Nolting will do the loopy thing if I don't have it threaded properly through the upper tensioner. I'm don't know anything about a "Controller". Is it the same as a Stitch Regulator?

Have you seen this page? https://sewinginsight.com/reviews/ja...-sd-18-review/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-12-2024 at 10:41 AM.
    Old 07-12-2024, 11:42 AM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that machine, but I agree with Barb. Loops on the bottom means the top thread isn't threaded correctly. Check the threading instructions in the manual thoroughly and carefully, I'm sure you'll discover the issue.
    Old 07-12-2024, 01:38 PM
    mkc

I believe that's a rebadged Tin Lizzie 18" quilter from years ago. Janome sold it under the "Artistic Quilter SD 18" name.

Tin Lizzie is long gone. There was a post a year or two ago here on QB that there was someone possibly still repairing them. I'll try to find it.
    Old 07-12-2024, 01:44 PM
    mkc

It was over 18 months ago, but here is a source

Quiltingboard Forums - View Single Post - Question for longarmers with Tin Lizzy

From that post:

Ammon Floyd - Floyd's Sewing Repair - 2263 West 7800 South - West Jordan UT 84088 - PHONE: 801-255-4130. I'm told he is grandson/great grandson to the man who invented the Tin Lizzie.
    Old 07-12-2024, 04:44 PM

Default Artistic 18

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    I don't know anything about your machine, but I do know that my Nolting will do the loopy thing if I don't have it threaded properly through the upper tensioner. I'm don't know anything about a "Controller". Is it the same as a Stitch Regulator?

Have you seen this page? https://sewinginsight.com/reviews/ja...-sd-18-review/
    No I haven’t but the SD is a newer model
    I would like some insight how to select my stitches and how to fast or slow I want my machine to run as I would like to do some ruler and separate block quilting
    I am sure this machine has a lot of more capability than I know of
    Thanks for all the information
    I am still having trouble with loops on back even with rethreading so my day goes!!!
    The control panel is where you set the speed , stitch length etc
    Old 07-13-2024, 10:03 AM

I own the Janome Artistic SD 18 longarm machine. I bought it new almost 10 years ago. I have had no problems. It has been a great machine and I always have a quilt under it's needle. There is a YouTube about tension by Jamie Wallen. He does not work on a Janome Artistic but he has great information on tension. Once I watched his session on tension, I watched it again. It was and has been a wealth of information. Also good idea to check your threading. That can make a world of difference. Even if you think it's right, check it again. I hope you have good luck with your machine. It has certainly been a good machine for me.
    Old 07-13-2024, 01:44 PM

Default Artistic 18

Originally Posted by Still Sew N
    I own the Janome Artistic SD 18 longarm machine. I bought it new almost 10 years ago. I have had no problems. It has been a great machine and I always have a quilt under its needle. There is a YouTube about tension by Jamie Wallen. He does not work on a Janome Artistic but he has great information on tension. Once I watched his session on tension, I watched it again. It was and has been a wealth of information. Also good idea to check your threading. That can make a world of difference. Even if you think it's right, check it again. I hope you have good luck with your machine. It has certainly been a good machine for me.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Old 07-13-2024, 04:01 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by shirley m larson
    No I haven’t but the SD is a newer model
    It's been about 10 years since Janome last sold the Artistic 18, which was a rebadged Tin Lizzie. There was a short period of time that Janome sold an SD16, which was a Handi Quilter Sweet 16 rebadge that was oriented like a regular sewing machine and had a red face. The Janome Quiltmaker Pro is a rebadged Handi Quilter Capri.