• Main
  • Attention all you modern quilters.... >
  • Attention all you modern quilters....

• Attention all you modern quilters....

Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 AM

I don't understand either.
    Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by totosmom
    Lovely quilt, Pat. Did you quilt it yourself? I love to quilt my own and have had some success, but I've never done a large quilt. I may have to pay someone to do those for me.
    Thanks, Dorothy. I did the quilting on it but this is a very small quilt. I find straight line quilting is much easier for me on my DSM than any free motion.
    Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Check out Poppy Seed Fabrics on Etsy.
    Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM

I've gotten many low volume bundles on etsy type it in a lots come up and great prices on some!
    Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM

"Low Volume" ?? this is a term that some of the "modern" quilters have come up with ... it means NEUTRAL ... understated ... aka NOT bright

I'm amused by some of these new terms we're hearing ... kind of like "modern" quilting ???

Is there really, truly, anything NEW in quilt design ??? It's ALL been done before, and many, many times over ... All quilts are simply re-interpretations of the same blocks - squares, rectangles, triangles, strips etc ...

Look at all the thousands of striking, yet simple 2-color, scrap and utilitarian quilts of the 1800's ... and the "Modern Masters" (IMHO) ... the Amish and Mennonites

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-09-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM

To the best of my knowledge, "low volume" is a term coined by Malka Dubrawsky in an article written for the April/May 2009 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine.

In the intro, she says "...I’ve begun to explore the possibilities of crafting items exclusively out of fabrics that don’t rely on bright, saturated, or intense colors. I’ve come to call these fabrics “low volume.” They’re characterized by qualities such as simple, sometimes large-scale, graphic prints; the backgrounds are mostly white or paler shades with a variety of differently textured fibers. The initial inspiration for working with these fabrics came from several sources including the clean aesthetic of Japanese craft books, the art of minimalist painter Agnes Martin, and my desire to explore traditional quilt patterns in a way that felt fresh and modern."

The use of 'low volume' fabrics gives the design elements of line, shape, and texture much more focus than they get when the 'high volume' of intense color is claiming center stage. As a designer, I like that challenge.