Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters >
  • Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

• Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Jeaninmaine, I was just thinking the same thing. Denim, even in big squares would work. I can buy jeans by the pound at the local Goodwill Outlet....
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM

I volunteer with Project Linus in Omaha and our coordinator Ginny says the same thing about our donations, always shortage of boy items.
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Good idea! It is hard to find boy stuff sometimes since the girly just pops out at you!
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 AM

I am involved with our local Linus project. I always make as many masculine or neutral quilts as possible. I make about 20 a month and I would say that at least 16 of them are male oriented or at least gender neutral. It is often hard to find yarn that would do well for a boy without getting something coarse in feel. Ironically as males are actually the weaker sex medically they may often be in need of medical attention more than the females.
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be looking for more "boy" colors and patterns for things from now on. Or at least colors that could be worn by boys or girls.
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Yes, last year Quilts For Kids put out a plea for more 'boy' stuff. I had some fabric with firetrucks at the time so I made that up and then ordered some fabric with foot balls and some more with spider man. I managed to get one of the foot ball quilts out with the firetrucks. I'm not the fastest quilter in the world, but I do have a spider man pin pasted on my table right now and hope to get it out the door this week.

I must admit I prefer the girly stuff but will make more of an effort to do boy-themed quilts - at least in equal measure.
    Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

I have a friend who is prego and she is wanting to wait till the baby is born to find out what she is having. it is her third baby and her last to try this. I am making the bedding and she wants to try to be neutral or boyish and it is really hard to find more masculine fabric. or fabric that will not look girly based on the colors. When I made my ds's bedding it was really hard to find nice boy fabric that wasn't too babyish or too girly. manufacturers do need to make more boy/guy fabric but i think that the problem is that the majority of quilters are female so they play to that.
    Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM

I make make preemie quikts and most of mine are gender neutral except for Valentine's Day as had to have some pink. Guess because I am a guy I am more concious of this.
    Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM

So happy that I use the baby solid colors of white, yellow, green, pink, and blue for hats and blankets. Dad's may not want to see their baby boy in yellow, but white and green are usually O.K.
    Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Thank you for pointing this out. I just ran in to take a look at my stash - I only have 3 things that a little boy. I will make sure to do better. I do have more gender neutral fabric, but not little boy blues. I think when we shop for fabric, we need to be sure that the quilt shops have more little boy fabric or better gender neutral fabric.