Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil Thread >
  • Aurifil Thread

• Aurifil Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
    You might want to try putting wax on your thread if you are having trouble with it knotting up. Just get a block of bee's wax and run the thread over the edge of it.
    If ya can't fine beeswax. Try Thread Heaven. When I was first tryin' ta hand quilt I couldn't find any beeswax, 'cause Midland was too small. But my LQS eventually carried Thread Heaven. Bees wax is cheaper. I like both.
    Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I just found it at pumpkinvinecorner.com. It is 8.79 a spool. They have all the different wts, and a lot of colors. They even have the big cones. I have never ordered from here before, but it looks pretty good. Anyone else ever order from here? I'm not sure about the shipping cost yet.
    Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
    Question for hand quilters: what ply do you use for hand quiting? and do you use 50 wt?
    For hand quilting, I use a quilting thread especially for hand quilting. It has a coating on the thread so it is strong and glides through the layers.
    Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
    Power Poster

Aurifil is a brand name of thread. Genziana Cotton Mako and Tre Stelle Oro Cotton and Aurifil are all the same thread. I remember when Aurifil was introduced to the US quilt market a few decades ago. Two women were on several tv quilt shows at the time promoting the Italian thread being imported to the US. I buy Aurifil and Genziana here:http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.p...ction=0&page=2
    Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks, everyone. Read all the reviews and bought some. You are right about piecing.

I was using Gutermann, and the mini iron got too hot and melted it, and couldn't pull stitches out even without pressing.

With the Aurifill, I could grab the bobbin thread and pull!. It goes through the fabric like a hot knife in butter. Maybe it doesn't have as many slubs?
    Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    Thanks, everyone. Read all the reviews and bought some. You are right about piecing.

I was using Gutermann, and the mini iron got too hot and melted it, and couldn't pull stitches out even without pressing.

With the Aurifill, I could grab the bobbin thread and pull!. It goes through the fabric like a hot knife in butter. Maybe it doesn't have as many slubs?
    The Gutermann cotton thread melted???
    That's the one I buy.
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    The Gutermann cotton thread melted???
    That's the one I buy.

Cotton should not melt ... my guess is that she must have been using a rayon or perhaps polyester Gutterman thread.
    Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM

My local quilt shop owner recommended the Aurifil for piecing about a year ago. It took me a year to finish the spool - the orange base size which costs about $10.49. I love how it works in my Janome, no breaks, no lint, no tangles. 5 stars from me.
    Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Cotton should not melt ... my guess is that she must have been using a rayon or perhaps polyester Gutterman thread.
    Thats what I was thinking. I use the cotton . I don't think I have any poly by gutermann
    Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 AM

I'm really tempted by the Tristan site but was wondering if anyone in the US who has ordered could let me know what the import duties, taxes & other clearance charges were? I had a really bad experience trying to send someone in Canada some fabric. She refused the fabric, understandably, because the "custom fees" was about $40, so I returned her money (less than the original fabric cost). I also lost the shipping charges and the fabric was never returned to me. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished