Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil Thread >
  • Aurifil Thread

• Aurifil Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

I don't overthink thread. If my machine likes it, I like it, then it's good thread.
    Old 06-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie
    That's where I bought mine too. I went upstairs yesterday to tug on a variety of threads after this discussion and of the ones I tugged on, Aurifil 50wt definitely broke with the lightest pressure. I even tried a couple different spools of it, cones and medium spools with the orange spindle.

Connecting Threads 50wt broke with a little more pressure than the Aurifil.

It was much harder to break the poly serger cone thread that I bought as a newbie (not knowing you're not supposed to piece/quilt with that!) so I feel better about having made several quilts with it! I had to pull a couple of times to figure out how much pressure to use. It finally stretched a ton before it snapped.

I couldn't break the Coats and Clark machine quilting 30wt thread that I used to buy before I knew anything about weights of thread. It actually hurt my hand a little.

I forget who---but a very success quilter uses serger thread all the time on her long arm machine. She took alot of flack when she said that but wins ribbons at big shows.
    Old 06-08-2017, 03:34 PM

perhaps it was in the store too long. It gets so dry here that may have damaged it. I would return it to the store but if they don't replace it sent it right to Aurifil.
    Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I don't overthink thread. If my machine likes it, I like it, then it's good thread.
    I agree with Onebyone on this. However, I do prefer Aurifil but sometimes need a color they don't have so use other thread too.
    Old 06-09-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie
    It was much harder to break the poly serger cone thread that I bought as a newbie (not knowing you're not supposed to piece/quilt with that!) so I feel better about having made several quilts with it! I had to pull a couple of times to figure out how much pressure to use. It finally stretched a ton before it snapped.
    I couldn't break the Coats and Clark machine quilting 30wt thread that I used to buy before I knew anything about weights of thread. It actually hurt my hand a little.
    Surger thread is also a two-ply thread, as is Aurifil. I think you'd be surprised at how many of us use surger thread in our quilts. We just don't tell anybody (usually). Surging has straight threads that come from the needles. They have to be as strong as any sewing thread. It's the bottom threads that make the loops. If the needle thread breaks, the loops fall off.

Surging thread works just fine in my sewing machines. I just need a thread stand to get it to the machine.
    Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 PM

I have never had a problem with Aurifil. It is what I use all the time. I don't tug or yank on my threads so haven't had any breaking issues. It is what a lot of quilters use and was recommended to me.

Last edited by MarleneC; 06-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.