Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil Thread >
  • Aurifil Thread

• Aurifil Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM

My Bernina just prefers the Aurifil, maybe it is what they are raised on at the factory :-D . There is an outlet that has clearance Aurifil, let me see if I can find it . . .

yes, here is my old post from Feb. 2009:
    Tristan thread in Western Canada is clearing out of Aurifil. The price converts to less than $4. US for 1300 meter spool including shipping when buying larger quantities. At least it was when I purchased last year, but it looks like they still have some.

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/

Good Luck. Maribeth
    Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by adriansmom
    Originally Posted by farscapegal
    Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I have Bernina and I have used Coats and Clark, Mettler, Gutterman, Sulky and others. Never had a problem with any of them. I typically use Mettler but sometimes can't get the right color. I don't think the more expensive machines demand more expensive thread. The thread is only passing through the machine, not becoming part of it.

The best piece of advice I got about thread and my Bernina was to always cut thread at the spool and pull it out at the needle when changing thread. Keep the fibers always going in the same direction. Pulling thread the other way can cause more lint.

Same here. I use whatever I have on hand. I buy the color I want no matter what the brand is. I have 3 Berninas and they have no problem sewing any thread I use.

Sybil
    When I had my Bernina, I too used whatever was on hand or on sale at the time. You can find good thread out there without paying through the nose for it. I have been impressed by the thread from Connecting Threads and it is only $1.99 a spool in tons of colors.

Have you tried hand sewing with Connecting Threads? I bought all the sets they had, and it does fine in my machine, but man does it ever twist up when hand sewing. I used it to slip stitch the back of a tie that I made my son and it about drove me crazy untangling it every few stitches. Anyone else have that problem?
    Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM

If you figure out the cost per yard, you'd find that even at $10, it's a better price than Coats & Clark and some of the others. Red Rock has the 50 wt for $8.95 (1422 yds). They are very quick and resonable priced shipping too. Desperate Quilters has it for $8.50, also quick and reasonable shipping. You might find it on sale thru the Fab Shop Hop sites too. Something to keep in mind anyway. :)
    Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM

It's cheaper by the yard if you are using a whole spool, but if it's a color you only need a little of, it's more expensive. Use whatever you can afford and works with your machine.
    Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Google Nancy Rink designs too. She sells aurifil and has a great shipping deal, or did last I looked.
    I love aurifil but have some other thread I use as well.
    Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
    I posted all about the Aurifil clearance here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44336-1.htm
    It's way cheaper than $10 a spool...rather like $5 a spool. I stock up as it's my absolute favorite thread.
    thank you so much for the link; 2 quilting buddies up here were looking for silk thread discounted; I referred them to this site. I also told them to credit you if they order.
    Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM

My machine loves gutterman, and mettler poly, and for embroidering I use Isacord. Never had a problem. Have used some coates and clark too, with little problem but definitely like the other ones best.
    Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    Okay,

So I have my new Bernina, and the shop is recommending I only use Aurifil thread. Now I'm sure it's GREAT thread, but at $10 a spool it can get a little pricey....although there is a lot on a spool.

Anyway, I'm no thread expert, but is this what I should go with? Or are there some alternatives?
    I have been sewing on Berninas for several years. They prefer any top quality thread and will tell you if they don't like it. I use mostly German threads.
    Old 05-21-2010, 03:27 AM

I have a Bernina 440 and I use a variety of threads with no problems. I've heard very positive things about Superior which I will probably order when I need more thread - it's usually a good price.
    Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    I haven't ordered from them yet, but I have been look'n for aurifil at a more reasonable place & I found this site. Unfortunately, the color I want is out of stock!

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/search...=search&page=1
    I have ordered from them and their service was good and their prices are great! Selection seems a little shy, but they offer groups of neutrals so that's not bad at all.