Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil Thread >
  • Aurifil Thread

• Aurifil Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    I see there is a 28wt, 40wt and 50wt Auriful. Which one do you use? What is the difference?
    Right now I am using Guttermann and am going to try the Sulky polyester invisible thread on a project.

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    I use Aurifil for piecing and a spool of it goes a looooooooooooooooong way. :)
    I use the 50 wt. for piecing(thinner) THe 40wt. and 28 wt. would be used for quilting the quilt.
    Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    I haven't ordered from them yet, but I have been look'n for aurifil at a more reasonable place & I found this site. Unfortunately, the color I want is out of stock!

What a super site for thread......thank you! I have it bookmarked. I'm so tempted to order that 24 spool doorbuster set. Oh, the Devil is playing with me.....LOL!

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/search...=search&page=1
    Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 AM

THANKS! I will go to that site and take a peek. I agree about dust. I have enough of that to share if anyone is interested in some. LOL

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    Some machines are thread picky. I had a Singer that would not use Dual Duty. My HQ16 will only use Maxi Lock. Another site is atlantathread.com. It's a small company actually less than 20 miles from me. You can even pick up, but it's guaranteed same day shipping. Thread colors sitting out are very pretty, but they can collect dust very quickly.
    Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Wow! Great price.. I love aurifil thread both for piecing and quilting, although I don't use it exclusively. Thanks for the info..
    Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM

I haven't ordered from them yet, but I have been look'n for aurifil at a more reasonable place & I found this site. Unfortunately, the color I want is out of stock!

Good find! I have an Aurora 440QE and I use the threads I find at www.connectingthreads.com

This site was recommended to me on this board and I've had no trouble at all with it. When I took a class to use my embroidery module, the shop told me only to use OESD stabilizers--which, of course, they happen to sell. Since then I've learned of other less pricey stabilizers and they work just fine. A warning though, everything Bernina is pricey. It's good quality, but pricey nonetheless.
    Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM

I used Aurifil exclusively for the first few years of quilting. Just a while back I ordered some of the sets from Connecting Threads and I really liked them. It's 50/3, Egyptian cotton and you get 20% discount when you buy a set. A single spool (1200 yds) is $1.99.
    Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 AM

That is really a good price on their 24 spool case!!
    Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Guess I am the only different one here but I have a Pfaff 7550 and a Bernina 440QE and the both love the essentials threads from connecting threads order in lots they are big and come in lots of different colors I do all my quilting on my 2 machines and I use these threads both for piecing,
    quilting and oh yes some applique too they are great threads and 1.99 a spool
    Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

I read that the Genziana Cotton Mako thread is thought to be be better then Aurifil. I don't think it's sold anywhere in the US. The Tristan site sell it.
    Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM

I guess I am the odd man out here but Star Thread is my go to choice for piecing and machine applique. I use it on my Bernina 440 and all my vintage Singers. But maybe I will try aurifil next time I see some.