Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil Threads, which colors are a must have. >
  • Aurifil Threads, which colors are a must have.

• Aurifil Threads, which colors are a must have.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

I've been using the 50wt Aurifil for piecing and love it for quite a while now. I recently got a long arm machine and Aurifil is made for it! 50wt is thin, so doesn't show up my 'beginner' stitches in a bad way. It is strong enough, that I've not had it break yet. The 1300mt spool is nearly a mile long, so even though it costs a similar price to a spool of King Tut, the yardage is over double. I can quilt a king size quilt with just a couple of spools and that includes in the bobbin too! But the best part is the low lint factor. King Tut is "low lint", yet the lint builds up quickly on my long arm. The Aurifil makes lint practically non-existant. Aurifil won me over, that's for sure!
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM

I love the prices at Tristan Italian Threads.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I bought my first spool of Aurifil a while ago, loved it so much I immediately placed an order for more colors AND for the color card. The color card has really come in handy!!

BTW - the best prices I've seen online for Aurifil is as http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil2.html.

If you find a better price, let me know!

Oh. For colors that blend easy into multi-colored pieces I like: medium grey #2620, dark grey #2625, and light grey #2615 (#2600 is a little too "silvery"), and in the brown/taupe range I like: medium #2326, and light #2312.

These are my "go to" colors when I'm working multiple color fabric (either in one piece or different pieces). Remember that if you have to choose, always go darker as the thread will "hide" better in the "shadow" of the seam. If I want to use colors for quilting, then I match the color to what I want using the color chart.
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
    Power Poster

Here it is: http://tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php?cat=38 I bought several of the door crasher boxes. The price can't be beat anywhere. The Grab bags are great for different colors.
    Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 AM

I love this thread!!!!I usually piece with cream or gray. I also use it to applique. I go in with a few friends for different colors and divide between us (wind on bobbins).
    Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the link, their prices are amazing. Now I can't decided which colors to buy, decisions, decision.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here it is: http://tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php?cat=38 I bought several of the door crasher boxes. The price can't be beat anywhere. The Grab bags are great for different colors.
    Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM

I am one of those quilters who don't match the threads to my fabrics when piecing. My suggestions would be, 3 shades of grey, 1 navy, 3 shades of cream, and 1 white, and look at your stash for top quilting colors. I am hand piecing 2 quilts using a tan, and I love it. The pieces are darker, but the thread color blends with the deep cream sashing. I am using aurifil as the top thread in my sewing machine (I call it dirty white) , and using up the thread on my bobbins in my stash before I try aurifil in my bobbins. I am thrifty, and my Janome doesn't seem to care.
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 AM

Wow, these prices are fantastic. thank you for this link!!!
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 AM

Another Question...it looks like they have a limited selection, or I am I missing something? I can't find just a plain black or grey or white.
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
    QKO

I don't know what to suggest for colors, other than to say that our most popular sellers are the 2310 light beige, and the black.
    Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

The most popular colors sell out as fast as they are put on the website. I found any hues of beige or gray will work fine for piecing.