Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools! >
  • Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

• Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM

i concur with the Superior thread link. i love their threads. They have so many applications available. Thread for every need. It is spendy but it goes a long way. I bought 3 spools of the King thread for the queen size quilt i made for my daughter thinking i'd machine quilt it. i ended up hand quilting it with the King thread which did as well or better than the hand quilting Coats and Clark thread. I did machine quilt the borders and it came out lovely. On the website, they talk about not using the rayon threads because they aren't colorfast. They suggest using the new ultra luster polyester threads instead. I just finished a wall hanging using the rayon, so i hope it stays color fast once i wash it before i gift it.
    Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I like good old reliable, available and affordable Coats and Clark. Look up the history of this thread on the Internet. It's interesting and fun--and Coat and Clark makes a bunch of colors. froggyintexas
    Originally Posted by Lolabella
    Hello! I'm new to this forum.. actually I'm new to forums in general. I'm wondering which quilting thread everyone prefers.. I've heard a lot of good things about both lines. I'm new to quilting so I'd like to start with something that won't leave me frustrated and disheartened!

What are you experiences with these two thread brands?

Also, what are some must have tools I should stock up on?

Thank you in advance!!
    Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM

I prefer the Aurilfil. It is pricey, but check the internet. I have seen it sold for decent prices. I believe jhittlesewing.com carries it, among others. Also, much as I love tools, shop carefully.
    Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by josiegirl
    Can anyone tell me where to buy the aurifil thread as I cannot find any in my local shops or Joanns store. Is it mainly online stores?
    I have always purchased my Aurifil online during sales to keep costs down. Even with shipping, I don't think I've paid more than $8/spool. However, I have seen it in some local quilts shops (not many) for about $11/spool.

Here is where I have purchased my existing stash of Aurifil:
    http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html
    Another discount website to check out is this one:
    http://www.tristan.bc.ca/specials.html
    And for just regular discounted prices:
    http://www.redrockthreads.com/aurifi...Fa5DMgodVHQABQ

All of these websites are somewhat less-than-easy to navigate, so take your time. It is the 50-wt 2-ply that I use for both piecing and quilting. It comes in other weights, so make sure you are ordering the weight you want.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-19-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM

I love Aurifil. It is the best thread on the market in my opinion.
    Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM

I think Mettler thread is one of the best on the market for quilting, I use it for the sewing machine and the waxed for hand quilting ( I don't machine quilt)
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J
    I use Aurifil 50 weight for piecing only, light grey for everything. Great for bobbin. My featherweight doesn't like it on top (it breaks). It really isn't that expensive when you consider how much is on the spool. Metler (sp?) is great also. I use the polyester much of the time as it has a little stretch.
    Re: Price, that's exactly what I was thinking. Even at $1 a spool for 100m (110yd) of mettler on sale, $9.99 for a 1300m (what, 1400 odd yards?) spool of Aurifil is actually "cheap" in comparison. As an added bonus, a local quilt shop puts Aurifil on sale once a month for 21% off, so it's under $8 for a spool. Good time to stock up.

I use Robison Anton at the moment, because i got a good deal on a bunch of it, and I like it better than the Gutermann and Mettler.

Sally, Aurifil is a cross wound thread, it's not terribly happy on a vertical spool pin like a featherweight's spool pin. Try using a spool holder, so the thread will come off the top, instead of rotating the spool. You can also try a tea cup and just drop the spool into it.

I used to have my spools periodically take flight while sewing with a vintage machine. It was always cross wound. When I watched the Superior Threads "Threadology" videos on YouTube and he described all of this, the light bulb went on.

The other thing is, the stretch in the poly can sometimes contribute to the tension problems with the cross wound thread on a vertical pin. (Think of an elastic band and the tension it holds when you pull and let go.) Something else to play with.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 04-19-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Check out the website for Superior Threads. It is a good place to learn about threads. They have a great newsletter and lots of education on threads. I've ordered the DVD - now I just need to watch it.
    I use the Superior Threads website, and use both Masterpiece (50#, 3 ply cotton) for piecing, and King Tut (Polyester) for quilting. I've tried others, and sometimes even use others, but these are my favorites.

Nammie to 7 -- for heaven's sake, watch that video! It's awesome!
    Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I use the Superior Threads website, and use both Masterpiece (50#, 3 ply cotton) for piecing, and King Tut (Polyester) for quilting. I've tried others, and sometimes even use others, but these are my favorites.

Nammie to 7 -- for heaven's sake, watch that video! It's awesome!
    I agree with the video, 100%. I believe all of it is on their YouTube Channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Superior...?feature=watch

But, King Tut is actually 100% Extra Long Staple Egyptian cotton,... not Poly... http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/Brand/king-tut/

I especially like their needle and tension recommendations right on the spool and on their product pages.

I'm thinking of ordering their home quilting sampler. Something like 7000m of thread for $51 plus shipping. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...sampler-set-c/
    Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 AM

For garment sewing, I use Mettler or Gutterman; but for quilting, I use only Aurifil because I like the thinner thread for quilting. Aurifil puts more thread on my bobbin and I like the way my 1/4" seams look with Aurifil.