Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Baby Lock? >
  • Baby Lock?

• Baby Lock?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 AM

gail-r, I had a Viking Saphire 870 and just traded it last week for an new Espire. It is so much nicer. What is you opinion and experience with Espire? I used it in the Eleanor Burns class in January at Road to California quilt show when they provided machines for the day long class, and loved it, and it is what she uses. The store I got it from offers 20 free classes to learn how to use it, so I thought I would get used to it first then take the classes. I have already put together an entire quilt since I got it 3 days ago. I love the embelishment stitches, although there are not very many compared to the Saphire 870, but the machine is so much smoother and easy on my fabric that the loss of designs seems worth it. Anyway...any opinions on the Espire, while on the subject of Baby Lock, would be great. I also have a Designer I Viking as a back up machine and it does embroidery, so I didn't need another embroidery machine, and it runs really smooth and nice compared to the 870, also. I use it to take to classes.
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM

I purchased a Babylock Proline machine in 1996 and other than using my Featherweight for piecing I have literally run this machine to death and it just keeps on humming. I am in the market for a new machine and I will buy a Babylock again. I only want a new machine for the advanced options such as needle up and down and the other features that new machines have. They are made by Brother which is one of the really good ones. I hope that you try out any machine that you decide on and that should convince you of your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with a Babylock. Good luck on your purchase
    Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM

I really like the features of the Ellegante 2. I have not tried my hand at embroidery yet. I have a friend who has the Brother PR-620. It is an embroidery only machine. My only concern is that I heard it is better to buy a separate embroidery machine because you don't want to "tie up" your sewing machine when trying to do embroidery. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

I am in the market for a Babylock and had narrowed my choices to the Quest Plus and the Espire. After doing research, I eliminated the Espire. the best quote I got for the QP (BLQ2-PL) is $1,100.

The reason why I eliminated the Espire is that it has a drop-in bobbin and no built-in walking foot. It has the cutter which I am not crazy about.

Incidentally, I am getting it to replace my latest Pfaff. Pfaffy and I just don't get along that well. We thought we were going to be good friends but we have differences in personality. lol
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Which is an embroidery machine for a decent price and of course, decent designs?
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM

I have had a Baby Lock 8500 for 20 years. Other than normal routine maintenance (every couple of years or every time I think about it), it has never given me a bit of trouble. It is a great machine and I hate to think of having to replace it someday. In those 20 years I have made approx. 90 quilts so it gets used plenty. I love my Baby Lock. I don't know where they are made now but mine says "Made in Japan".
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Hey Stitchinwitch, love your board name!! This is something I get asked a lot so please don't think that I am being rude when I reply with several questions, k?

1. Is this going to be your only multi stitch machine?
    2. What types of embroidery do you want to do, tee's, quilts, jeans?
    3. What size hoop/hoops do you want?
    4. How often do you think you will be embroidering? Do you plan on doing commercial embroidery?
    5. how often do you think you will be doing other sewing with this machine?
    6. Which embroidery software do you use or plan on using?
    7. Are you planning on doing free motion quilting with this machine, if so are you planning on putting it into a cabinet or on a table? Cabinets can be very expensive and there are some table arrangements that can be very cheap and actually be more junctional, convenient and quilter friendly than the most expensive cabinet. Just won't be fancy and pretty. Which brings another question, where will you have it setup? Sewing room or in an area where everyone who comes to your door will see your machine and (if your like me) mess?
    8. What is your price expectaions and are you thinking of buying new or used?

I would love to help you make the decision that is right for your needs and wants. And to offer suggestions on where to scrimp and where to splurge.

I didn't address designs or method of transmitting to your embroidery machine, but will be able to better address these things when I know more of what you want and how you intend to use it.

Hope this isn't being too nosey.
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I have the exact same machines as gail-r and I love the Baby Lock Ellegante for everything but piecing. I use the Juki 98Q for piecing.

Question for Gail-r. Do you ever use the serger for making quilts. I keep intending to try but haven't yet.

I also have the Embellisher but haven't really used it for anything. I let my grandson's play around with it when they are interested.
    Yes I have made 5 or 6 of the log cabin style qayg quilts. I got the info free from the net but (being old) I can't remember exactly where. Also, been watching the Bargello tute here and am wondering why we couldn't do that on the serger. Would certainly make speedy work out of the top, I love using my serger. Have you ever made the wire ribbons on yours? I have started making some and decorating baskets with quilt fabric scraps. Looks great and can be fun way to decorate around your quilts.
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
    I have a Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Professional that I got about 1 1/2 years ago and I absolutely LOVE it! It sews like a champ (has a semi-industrial motor) and is very smooth and solid. Being a machine made for quilting, it doesn't have any fancy options - straight stitch only with 4 settings for the feed dogs. I have learned to FM with it as well. I highly recommend this machine. :thumbup:
    Me 2!!! I have one I got on a quilting frame, and I love it. It's very reliable. :thumbup:
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eagle Hawk
    gail-r, I had a Viking Saphire 870 and just traded it last week for an new Espire. It is so much nicer. What is you opinion and experience with Espire? I used it in the Eleanor Burns class in January at Road to California quilt show when they provided machines for the day long class, and loved it, and it is what she uses. The store I got it from offers 20 free classes to learn how to use it, so I thought I would get used to it first then take the classes. I have already put together an entire quilt since I got it 3 days ago. I love the embelishment stitches, although there are not very many compared to the Saphire 870, but the machine is so much smoother and easy on my fabric that the loss of designs seems worth it. Anyway...any opinions on the Espire, while on the subject of Baby Lock, would be great. I also have a Designer I Viking as a back up machine and it does embroidery, so I didn't need another embroidery machine, and it runs really smooth and nice compared to the 870, also. I use it to take to classes.
    I used to teach at a locally owned Viking store located inside of the JoAnns in Draper, UT. I have always said that if I couldn't get a BabyLock my next choice would be a Viking. The ones that I had experience with in classes had an equally beautiful stitch quality, many of the good/great embroidery edit features. They are a tiny bit less user friendly than the BL's, but a ton more user friendly than some models of Bernina and Pfaff. Viking machines are known for their durability, several of the professional longarm quilters I know use Viking machines for peicing. If you are looking at the huge hoops and machines that can handle huge embroidery stitch counts, the Viking Diamond will do a great job for you. More expensive than most of the comparable machines. Only downside in my book or maybe I should say pocket book.