Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Baby preference question >
  • Baby preference question

• Baby preference question

Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM

Am currently finishing quilt for my first granddaughter - purple, yellow, blue with a small bright pink inner border. Back will also be bright pink. Will be making a sailboat quilt for my other daughter's baby when the time comes - regardless of sex - it will be sailboats. I will be using colors to make it more of a girl or boy quilt. If girl, bright pinks, limes, yellows. If boy, more primary colors - red, blue, yellow. At least these are my thoughts now!!
    Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM

I usually go with pastels of pink, blue, yellow, mint green and lavender
    Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM

If I have no time and the quilt is for someone that I want to give a handmade quilt, but not spend lots of time on, I'll use a panel with some added borders. Otherwise I like brights, with a theme that the Mom may be using in the nursery.

I have to share a story on myself. Few years ago, while visiting a super friend, we shopped for fabric for a quilt for her first born g-child--a boy. Since they were from northern Michigan, I wanted to use fabrics that would represent the woods, in strong colors. Well, I did--a split rail design, strong colors, not sure I liked them together at all--like I told the new Mom, never should two very old friends pick fabric AFTER a lunch sampling at the local micro-brewery!
    Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Just depends on what I have handy to use and what pattern I choose. If I know the gender, I may choose pink or blue, but then I like pale yellow and pastel green to make for little ones, and as someone else said, I try not to make it too babyish, so they can enjoy the quilt as they get older. I personally don't care for red or black for a baby quilt, unless these colors are scattered in with other bright colors. I think anymore unless parents are color picky, almost any color will work, especially pastel colors.
    Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

I usually use bright colors and make it large enough so it can be used when the child is much older. Not so much babyish.
    Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 AM

The rainbow is my palette. My preference -- not so important and my inspiration. My very first baby quilt was almost 40 years ago -- the first one I hand quilted. I used whatever fabric I had including a lightweight denim to do the sea for Noah's arc loaded with animals. None were dressed in pink or blue -- but I have used those colors -- mixed them too. Just love color and can't wait to see what goes w/what.