Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Baby quilt with Sherpa backing >
  • Baby quilt with Sherpa backing

• Baby quilt with Sherpa backing

Old 11-04-2022, 10:22 AM

Default Baby quilt with Sherpa backing

Hi all, I was on the board years ago but forgot my login so started all over. I recently made my new grandson a quilt with a sherpa backing and dd says that every time he lays on it his eyes get red and puffy. has anyone had any experience with sherpa backing?
    Old 11-04-2022, 01:43 PM

Is sherpa made from wool or a synthetic fabric. Either way it sounds like the baby may be allergic to the material. A natural wool fiber is more likely to cause an allergic reaction. Probably best to put that quilt away until the baby is older and then maybe give another try. Sounds like a good excuse to make another baby quilt!
    Old 11-04-2022, 02:25 PM

Was it washed before giving it to the family? If all else fails you could remove that backing and do the quilt over. Or just make a new one. Good luck.
    Old 11-05-2022, 02:16 AM

I found the definition of Sherpa fabric online as:
    Sherpa is a curly piled fabric structure made of
    synthetic yarns like acrylic or polyester. The texture is soft and fluffy, useful in jackets resembling wool or sheepskin on the piled side. Sherpa fleece is a knitted type of fabric usable in line clothing and winter wear.

Because the texture of Sherpa fabric is soft and fluffy, there may be a tiny bit of Fuzz causing the baby's eyes to be irritated. If the sherpa sheds a bit, the fuzz will go away with several washings. My 4mo old Grandson was sensitive to the plush minky backing on his quilt until it was washed and dried several times in dye free, scent free detergent.
    Old 11-05-2022, 09:35 AM

Any kind of fleece makes me have an itchy reaction, so that doesn’t surprise me.
    Old 11-05-2022, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by copycat
    I found the definition of Sherpa fabric online as:
    Sherpa is a curly piled fabric structure made of
    synthetic yarns like acrylic or polyester. The texture is soft and fluffy, useful in jackets resembling wool or sheepskin on the piled side. Sherpa fleece is a knitted type of fabric usable in line clothing and winter wear.
    Because the texture of Sherpa fabric is soft and fluffy, there may be a tiny bit of Fuzz causing the baby's eyes to be irritated. If the sherpa sheds a bit, the fuzz will go away with several washings. My 4mo old Grandson was sensitive to the plush minky backing on his quilt until it was washed and dried several times in dye free, scent free detergent.
    Or it could be the dye in the sherpa. That is what my neighbor's granddaughter is deathly allergic to. She took the quilt away and it is now a wall hanging. Also many children outgrow their allergies. Your pediatrician will be able to give more info on that--I never worked peds. Only adults.