Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Baby quilts >
  • Baby quilts

• Baby quilts

Old 05-16-2023, 07:11 PM

Default Baby quilts

What are your favorite baby quilt patterns?
    Old 05-17-2023, 01:43 AM

Default Fav. Baby quilt patterns

Playing Tag pattern found at allpeoplequilt.com is a free pattern I've made 3 times. (photo attached)
    Fat Quarter Baby Book has a whale pattern I've made 2 times. This book has wonderful baby quilt patterns.
    Speedy Baby 2 is another free pattern I've made several times.
    Attached Thumbnails img_7880.jpg  
    Old 05-17-2023, 02:50 AM

I do not have a special pattern for baby quilts. I will often choose a pattern that intrigues me or I just want to try and instead of making it a throw or larger, I make it smaller about 45" square or how ever a pleasing number of blocks work out. I stay away from quilts with lots of tiny pieces only because with more frequent washing of a baby's quilt, there is more opportunity for popped seams or simple wear and tear. I quilt just a bit more heavily but not so heavy that it is stiff. Samples below.
    Attached Thumbnails 2023-03-27-monsema-2-42x42-mch-strippy-stars.jpg   2020-3-18-ellis-resized-2-.jpg   2020-9-26-willow-termstra-resized-2-.jpg   2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler.jpg   2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler-close-up-1.jpg  

Old 05-17-2023, 09:21 AM

My favorite is whatever pattern I make for the big sister/brother only done in baby print. I have had Mommies that loved the idea. I find that most of the big kids like that as well. It makes a special connection with the two. If there is more than 1 older sibbling I still make the same quilt in different fabric patterns. I've only had 1 problem from the older kids and that was because they did not like having a new kid in the home who was adopted. The parents had never told the older kids they were also adopted as infants.
    Old 05-17-2023, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    I do not have a special pattern for baby quilts. I will often choose a pattern that intrigues me or I just want to try and instead of making it a throw or larger, I make it smaller about 45" square or how ever a pleasing number of blocks work out.
    Same here. I also like to make a teddy bear for boys and a bunny for girls (just elongate the ears and make a big poof for a bunny tail) with the leftover scraps from the quilt, and a matching quilt for the bunnies.

Attached Thumbnails bunny-quilt.jpg  
    Old 05-17-2023, 10:16 AM

Another picture.
    Attached Thumbnails bunny-quilt.jpg  
    Old 05-17-2023, 10:44 AM

Quilt and matching bear for a baby boy.
    Attached Thumbnails finished-quilt-2.png   bear-2.png  
    Old 05-17-2023, 10:55 AM

Peckish, I really like your blue and pink charm square quilt with matching bunny. So sweet and simple. I have some fat quarters of lighthouse novelty fabric that I have been struggling to think of how to use it. Have several fat quarters so not enough to really do anything with so this might work as a pattern. Thanks posting pictures!
    Old 05-18-2023, 03:42 AM

Mommy and Me https://www.google.com/search?q=momm...Zw&sclient=img
    Old 05-18-2023, 05:26 AM

Did you see the one that Mkotch posted today? Beige (per parent's request) on one side, fabulous b/w with pops of color on the other.

Babies like high contrast. Children like bright colors. I like to make something that will last past that babyhood stage, so at least 40", big enough for a toddler. Also, if it is used by a child, it will need to be washed a lot, so I like to keep it rather simple - strips, square, rectangles.