Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Babylock Crown Jewel 3 >
  • Babylock Crown Jewel 3

• Babylock Crown Jewel 3

Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 AM

Default Babylock Crown Jewel 3

I have to make a decision today whether to purchase this longarm machine or not as current offer expires. Does anyone know if there will be a better offer at the Paducah Quilt Show? Does anyone own this machine and can review it for me?
    Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 AM

I know nothing about this machine.....I have an apps......I guess it depends on what and how you are going to use it....for durability, ease, functionality, etc.........
    Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

Personally, I would purchase a long arm machine from a dedicated long arm manufacturer rather than a general sewing machine manufacturer. Having done both, I was very dissatisfied with the support from the generalist. The dedicated manufacturer provided better support and frankly knows more about this specialized task.
    Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM

I had not thought of that angle. Can you give me an example of which manufacturers you are referring to? I can't afford a Gammill even though I would love to own one.
    Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 AM

I would purchase at a local dealer vs at the show, because of the service they will provide after your purchase. Who is going to help you maintain the machine after you get it home? Answer any questions you may have? Etc
    Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 AM
    Power Poster

Bisbetica is correct. I you are new to LAQ, you will need classes and support. It is best to shop at a large quilt show that you can experience all the machines out there hopefully finding the right machine for you.
    Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Qcquilter
    I had not thought of that angle. Can you give me an example of which manufacturers you are referring to? I can't afford a Gammill even though I would love to own one.
    A longarm is an expensive purchase. Sounds like you need to do a bit more research. If you are going to Paducah they will all be there, for instance: APQS, Innova, HandiQuilter...
    Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 AM

well as far as classes go you could find a place that rents la they require you to take a class before you use their machine. I did that and got a lot of information. I bought mine from Nolting it was a used one and I got one day of class. There are also videos on this subject that I have obtained a lot of information.
    Old 04-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Check out the Nolting. I have the FunQuilter and it is an excellent starter machine. They have great customer service.
    Old 04-02-2016, 05:10 AM

I have the CJ2 on momentum frame and I love them. The machine is manufactured by HandiQuilter and is equivalent to their 18" machine. It took me about 3 rows of stitching on my first quilt to get the tension right, but after that I've hardly touched it. We use Connecting Threads essential on top and in the bobbin for all our quilting. If I were buying again in the same budget range I would absolutely do the same thing. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

ETA I see I am too late to help since you had to decide 2 days ago. I have been having trouble with my IPad and haven't been online much in the last couple of days.

I love my quilter but I hope you don't have one of those pushy "You have to buy right now" dealers. If you ended up buying I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Let us know what you decided.

Last edited by wesing; 04-02-2016 at 05:19 AM.